January 16, 2018, 07:18:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Military Rations  (Read 82 times)
Quill

« on: January 09, 2018, 04:40:31 PM »

I have been reviewing the contents that countries give their soldiers. The French and Italian rations seem pretty good. Surprisingly the Israeli is worse than the Russians, with the caveat that they are close to home most of the time. The biggest laugh was a video of the Swiss bragging about not serving packaged rations to their soldiers as they care for them better and receive daily shipments of local fresh produce.  They disabled the comments to that video. They don't need combat rations anymore than US bases use them. Still it's nifty to get ideas for your own use. By the way one of the Italian rations has a cordial with breakfast. I am surprised at how many still serve canned food with an Esbit stove. Also that can serve national foods. I saw one Norwegian ration that had reindeer casserole. Most are addressing the fiber issue. I also think the ones sold over the net are to expensive. A food dehydrater and a vacuum sealer means you don't have to get hooked into buying the expensive stuff or live on Ramen noodles.
Fun learning when the temperature is below zero. 

What's over the next hill?
vector001

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »

a neat subject.

i've been wanting to take a look at freeze driers. they are supposed to be getting affordable, maybe do a cost/benefit analysis compared to Mountain House, etc. - i like to consider break-even points for my money's worth.

coffee beans, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, spices - especially fennel, mustard powder, cumin, thyme, cayenne, cinnamon, dried onion and garlic - , dried peas and beans, rice, Airborne Pills, could ya along way, and can be grabbed in a heartbeat at the store, with very little cash.

....you could do better, but ya might not do faster and lighter.

it's raining here, our version of below zero in Coronado.

vec

Some people bring a knife to a gunfight and win.

Some people bring swim fins to the knife fight, watch the other idiots kill each other, then take their stuff and swim happily out of zombie range.
Bill S

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:20:12 PM »

The Cognac in the French and Italian rations tastes like plastic. 

The calamari the Spanish rations is great.  Just not for breakfast.
deerstalker

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 02:46:18 AM »

I have been reviewing the contents that countries give their soldiers.

How can you tell without samples Huh?
Quill

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 10:08:32 AM »

Well you can see quality and I can identify many of the items. The Israeli 4 person pack has 7 or 8 cans of tuna fish. I am familiar with the US rations and many are just a varient of it. Some of it is sold in vending machines. We called them gut bombs as opposed to restaurants that were lower down on quality were choke and pukes or Hersey squirt joints. Plus it isn't far off from frozen meals from stores or bad cafeteria food. I haven't anything against Russian rations, except they are artery clogging. I don't even think it is down to the main meal. It what is in there for between meals or if you can't eat the main, is there an quick easy substitute. Good, biscuit, cookie, cracker, jam, both food and fruit bars, tea, coffee, cocoa  moves them to a different level. If they are good quality or full of artificial stuff. The US is famous for dumping artificial crap in packaged food, especially for soldiers. They can't just put a multi vitamin in the pack, no it has to be added to food. Plus certain products like corn syrup has to be used. Even isotonic drinks have to be made like Kool-aid and Tang. Still I would take it over a whole box of canned tuna. Although I would trade for some good Halvah.

Quill

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 09:04:52 PM »

I looked at the freeze dry machines. The small one for 2k is not horribly priced but that 1 year warranty doesn't impress me. I had to laugh at some of the reviews complaining there is maintenance on the machine. Most things require regular maintenance. The complainers probably require more daily than the machine in a year.
As a side note there are plenty of youtube videos on dehydrater use. Plenty of ways to dehydrate enough food for your go bag that can be rehydrated with hot water and some soaking time. I think vec should write a cook book on it. What the heck, keep his mind off women and revolution for awhile.

vector001

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 11:35:54 PM »

What the heck, keep his mind off women and revolution for awhile.

perish the thought.

i could call it "Revolutionary Cooking that'll Getcha Laid!"

vec

Some people bring a knife to a gunfight and win.

Some people bring swim fins to the knife fight, watch the other idiots kill each other, then take their stuff and swim happily out of zombie range.
Quill

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 03:01:35 PM »

It would sell.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting