January 16, 2018, 07:28:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Progressive school  (Read 151 times)
deerstalker

« on: December 29, 2017, 07:35:50 PM »

In the UK.............

https://www.channel4.com/news/buffalo-shotguns-and-quad-bikes-at-school
Rooster

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 09:51:45 PM »

I love the idea so forgive me if I'm being a party pooper, but even if those buffalo are fairly domesticated and one of them is having a bad day, a real tragedy could unfold.

Rooster

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Yo soy un Indio Americano

Vayo con dios mi amigos en la fe

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
deerstalker

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 11:25:13 PM »

.............if those buffalo are fairly domesticated and one of them is having a bad day, a real tragedy could unfold.

They're water buffalo & I doubt they play with the bulls Huh?

In the UK they are mostly for milking, so are constantly being handled (nasty ones wouldn't last long I bet).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_mozzarella

Risk is part of the curriculum ...........like any farm.

My 5YO granddaughter hand feeds full grown cattle (with me right by her side) Wink Cool
Rooster

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 01:00:56 AM »

My city boy side is showing. You'd still have to do a little talking to get me to walk around out there with 'em. Years ago, I was pretty close to a 2000 lb. black bull on a deer lease and although he didn't charge or become aggressive, he just carried himself with an air of you needing to have no doubt that you were in his space. Then one yr. in the high country in Colorado, two, what I'll call range bulls got into it amongst a bunch of cows. You may know, but the ranchers will move their cattle up into the high mountain valleys in the summer. They fought, nonstop, for at least 30 minutes, probably longer, knocking down small trees and anything else that got in their way. It was wild in the natural sort of way. Obviously I've never forgotten it.

Rooster

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
deerstalker

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 02:19:26 AM »

You'd still have to do a little talking to get me to walk around out there with 'em.

Testicles make a world of difference in most species, but especially amongst our bovine brethren  Wink
Bill S

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 08:46:54 AM »

I use a little caution around bulls but pretty much ignore cows and steers.  Just about everyone I know that was injured by cattle was in a pen with them and got knocked down and stepped on or butted or kicked when they were trying to herd them into a place they didn't want to go, like a loading chute or a trailer.  Or were trying to separate calves from momma.
vector001

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 10:09:55 PM »

i love water buffalo.

if you hand rear them the biggest problem you will have is burying trespassers.

vec

Some people bring a knife to a gunfight and win.

Some people bring swim fins to the knife fight, watch the other idiots kill each other, then take their stuff and swim happily out of zombie range.
deerstalker

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 10:27:45 PM »

i love water buffalo.

Memories of the Philippines eh Vec ? 
Combat-Trout

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 10:24:21 AM »

My city boy side is showing. You'd still have to do a little talking to get me to walk around out there with 'em. Years ago, I was pretty close to a 2000 lb. black bull on a deer lease and although he didn't charge or become aggressive, he just carried himself with an air of you needing to have no doubt that you were in his space. Then one yr. in the high country in Colorado, two, what I'll call range bulls got into it amongst a bunch of cows. You may know, but the ranchers will move their cattle up into the high mountain valleys in the summer. They fought, nonstop, for at least 30 minutes, probably longer, knocking down small trees and anything else that got in their way. It was wild in the natural sort of way. Obviously I've never forgotten it.

Rooster

Geez, cows? We have bears and dangerous things running around out back...

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
Bill S

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 11:19:32 AM »

Well, I've got 'gators and 5 species of poisonous snakes, maybe 6, bears, red wolves and possibly cougars but those almost never attack.  Except for the snakes and the 'gators.  It seems to have been a bad year for copperheads, at least 8 people were bitten in my state, alone.  Fortunately, no one died.  Most were kids.  And most seemed to have been in city parks.
Rooster

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »

Rooster

Geez, cows? We have bears and dangerous things running around out back...

Kind of embarrassing CT, but if they weight 1000 lbs. and have horns, I'm gonna take notice. Honest, if they weight 1000 to 2000 and have cajones as big as grapefruit, I may not want to play with them at all. Now, admittedly trying to prove my masculinity, I do wadefish where sharks are the apex predator and have always thought that there was at least a slight level of stupid involved. Happy New Year

Rooster

deerstalker

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 04:11:23 PM »

............if they weight 1000 to 2000 and have cajones as big as grapefruit, ..........

They're the bulls Rooster.......

Most full grown cattle you will encounter are steers & cows  Smiley
Rooster

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 07:48:45 PM »

There's a small town in Central Texas, San Marcos, where young men go, it doesn't matter but it's either Sun. or Wed. night and "practice" learning to ride bulls. It's not an official school but I worked with a kid, Cowboy, that went each night for months. If I were 18 or 20 again and had a couple of extra Corona in me, I'd have to have gone down and see if I could become an 8 sec. man. If I did make it DS, I'd never have let anybody forget it.

Rooster

And no football helmet, that a disgrace.

deerstalker

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »

........see if I could become an 8 sec. man.

If I did make it DS, I'd never have let anybody forget it.

There's a price to pay later in life, they all fall off at regular intervals, but it sounds like fun Wink Cheesy

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 03:30:23 AM by deerstalker » Logged
Rooster

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 01:33:40 PM »

Cowboy showed up one Mon. morning with two black eyes that were almost as big as tennis balls. He looked like he had been ten rds. with Mike Tyson. So, we asked what had happened and he said that the bull had gotten position, thrown his head back as Cowboy was leaning forward and smacked him right in the face. It was just about brutal looking. He later got married, had a daughter and gave up bull riding.

Rooster
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:27:05 PM by Rooster » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting