January 17, 2018, 03:11:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Boots  (Read 500 times)
Combat-Trout

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 07:12:47 AM »

The brand is synonymous with life on the western plains.............

http://www.outbackmag.com.au/?sfid=7833&_sft_category=stations

http://www.outbackmag.com.au/shop/

Oh, the other western plains...

If you like them, then that’s cool. realitvely speaking they’re not that expensive.

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
deerstalker

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 12:46:19 AM »

Oh, the other western plains...

Yes    Cool
Bill S

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 09:12:29 PM »

Our hipsters drink either PBR or some weird named micro brew beer, wear really expensive boots that fall apart if you get off pavement, own competition axes that they don't know how to use and play Call of Duty for hours and hours.

At least your hipsters go outside to play.

Never buy a pair of boots that are marketed to hipsters over here.  They literally fall apart if you get off pavement.  And unfortunately, some really good name brands have started doing exactly that.  I went through three pairs of Irish Setters, they are a branch of Red Wings, in less than six months.  When the first pair didn't last 3 weeks, I should have just gotten my money back and walked away, instead I figured it had to be a fluke and let the store replace them.  Second pair lasted about 6 weeks.  After fighting with them for almost three months, I finally got those replaced, too.  Third pair lasted about three months.  Freaking store went out of business or I would have tried for a 4th pair. 
deerstalker

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 11:25:59 PM »

At least your hipsters go outside to play.

RM's are still the real deal, for now anyway - but they do have cheaper versions that are made overseas and the company isn't locally owned anymore.

Time will tell, the Australian made ones last & last in my experience, although are obviously intended to have the soles & heels replaced at regular intervals - repairable not disposable.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:30:31 PM by deerstalker » Logged
deerstalker

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 11:29:58 PM »

Our hipsters drink either PBR or some weird named micro brew beer, ............

It's mainly a coastal phenomenon here, the further in towards the middle you go the less likely you are to encounter one Smiley
deerstalker

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 06:29:37 AM »

Our hipsters drink either PBR .........

https://pbr365.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/clint-eastwood.jpg
Bill S

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 09:02:19 AM »

Our hipsters want to be thought of as manly men.   Roll Eyes

They don't actually do real manly man stuff, sort of like a kid playing dress up.  They may put on the clothes but they are clueless about the actions.

They seem to be primarily a coastal problem, not to many in my area or the interior over here, either.  I understand they are in the larger cities and are very prevalent around progressive college campuses.
Rooster

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 11:07:12 AM »

Texas, the 60's, 70's, the 80's, Austin and part of the dress code was jeans, a sports shirt and cowboy boots. There was also the upwardly mobile, the collegiate crowd or the successful and they sported penny loafers and slacks. I almost forgot the wide leather belt and a big belt buckle for most of us. We listened mostly to country music, although I clung to a little R&R and the Blues. I've been on a horse, maybe five or six times in my life,.. my dad called us drug store cowboys and he was right.

Rooster

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Yo soy un Indio Americano

Vayo con dios mi amigos en la fe

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
deerstalker

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 07:29:24 PM »

..........the dress code was jeans, a sports shirt and cowboy boots.

Sounds practical to me  Huh? Smiley
deerstalker

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »

I've been on a horse, maybe five or six times in my life,..

There's still plenty of time to change that ............  
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:02:04 PM by deerstalker » Logged
Rooster

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2017, 08:44:58 PM »

I've mentioned before that I would like to live out in the middle of the Texas Brush Country, 30 or more miles from anything. Just a shack to break the wind and the rain and to get out of the sun during the middle of the day. Become a hermit for a yr. or two and I had visualized backpacking over the country to forage, gather and hunt. A horse would add a whole new realm of possibilities to that lifestyle.
 I haven't mentioned this to DT, but I have found 20 acres of land, completely unimproved at the end of a 4 wheel drive dirt road  that looks to be about 20 mi. outside of Terlingua, Tx. It's on Black Rock Draw which is a mini canyon that cuts through the property and is kind of amazing look at to me. I have told my local friends that I guess I could go out and wonder what I was doing there. Would have to tent it, camp out above the bottom of the draw because it looks like from time to time water has ripped through there cutting the canyon walls which at a turn, I would guess are at least 150 ft high. $6500.00 dollars and you would be alone. They'll finance I'm guessing 10 to 20% down and just a little a month. It's, from the appearance on Google Maps, remote.

Rooster

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
deerstalker

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2017, 09:00:28 PM »

It's, from the appearance on Google Maps, remote.

Sounds like a great idea.

20 acres is less than 300m x 300m (by my reckoning) so a good base but you'd need access to neighboring land Huh?

What's that like..........is it all privately owned?

Rooster

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2017, 10:57:02 PM »

By checking the listings, most everything in the general area seems to be privately owned and available for owner financing.The next track up the draw is 40 acres for, I think it's $14,900. That tract is beautiful in that the floods have left deep pot holes in the bedrock and a couple of them are holding water. A lot of, almost all the listings are available through owner financing. It looks like from the google map, that there aren't any neighbors for around 10 mi. or so. Mule deer, javalina and there are mountain lions is west texas. Just as important is the diversity of the ecological system and it so different from anything I've ever known. I bet there are at least a few big rattle snakes out there. I'm just kind of dreaming, keeping it in the back of my head.

Rooster

Bill S

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2017, 08:04:32 AM »

So, a little under 25K for 60 acres?  Most of which is canyon bottom? 

Ever been caught in a canyon that has a flood come down it? 

It's considered a once in a lifetime event.

Rim is a different story, if you can get above it, it looks awesome to look down in a raging flood in a canyon and see boulders the size of cars go rumbling by.

If you get the place, how will you get water?  When my brother built his house, it cost 11K for his well and all the guy had to drill through was 200 feet of chalk.

Still, it sounds like a great place to have, just not live there.  Just camp out for a couple of months at a time.  Especially when the walls start closing in.  And keep the radio tuned to the local weather station.
Rooster

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2017, 01:00:01 PM »

The summation is as you said, a great place to have but not to live. Set up camp and listen to mother nature. Build a small fire at night. Remote, alone, but the catch is, that it's 555 mi. away. Because of traffic that's a 10 to even a 12 hour drive and I wouldn't enjoy that very much. Doable but not so practical. It's on my wish book but I'd rather have something 1/2 the distance. Also have to watch my finances.

Rooster

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting