November 19, 2017, 08:24:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: War Time Cooking  (Read 87 times)
Quill

« on: November 09, 2017, 09:41:14 PM »

I have been researching food eaten during WWII rationing. I heard one person say it was poor man's food with attention to healthy. I think there is much to be learned from their making do with simple, easy produced but less of what was normally their diet. They were also more healthy. Both in England and the US. More of a known attainment for survival than many put forth these days.

What's over the next hill?
Rooster

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 10:13:27 PM »

A little bit of a different perspective, but I remember my mother talking about rationing gas and I think tires.

Rooster

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Yo soy un Indio Americano

Vayo con dios mi amigos en la fe

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
deerstalker

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 02:47:31 AM »

it was poor man's food with attention to healthy. I think there is much to be learned from their making do with simple,

Me too
Quill

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:30:03 AM »

Most people are focused on rice, pasta and beans. I don't have a problem with them per se but I think they may not be the top tier for long term.
I see in 39 when the war was declared people were careful to preserve all the food from the past summer. In other words that was up and producing vegetable gardens and fruit. I believe in one spot they said you should have 2 bushels of tomatoes per person stored. Another thing that was scarce was seasonings. Yes you can grow substitutes but a large amount as they were out before 5 years were done. Another point was from the US was the amounts needed to keep a working person healthy and productive. So much dairy, meat fruit and veg each day. Certainly you can boost healthy by having enough multi vitamins stored but they are not good substitutes for food. Neither is it a good idea to boost food by dumping vitamins in as any soldier from then will tell you tasted terrible. I know whenever my parents bought some vitamin added food for kids when I was young it tasted terrible. I would say a good amount of serotonin foods would be helpful.   https://bebrainfit.com/serotonin-foods-mood-brain/   I don't discount alcohol for those that can have it. A bit at the end of the day might smooth things. Do you know from experience how to make wine and other beverages? Same with comfort foods. I believe one thing they told people to take with them to a bomb shelter was a chocolate bar. The first weeks will see a major breakdown for many that live on pop and Starbucks. The weening away process needs to start on day 2 or sooner if you don't have much. Even now you can live a bit healthier and better if your diet is close to the war time one. Obviously we have learned things since that can make it easier. The one thing that is required that hinders most today is the hard work involved which will suck up leisure time. When I say leisure time, I mean time not spent working for a living.

Combat-Trout

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 08:05:08 AM »

My folks told me that everyone had their gardens going, and they were serious about them. People shared/traded because some things grew better across the street or whatever. When birthdays/celebrations came around people pooled their resources and ration cards to make a small cake. Of course this was when Americans shared a common goal...

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
vector001

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »

Of course this was when Americans shared a common goal...

everyone does, who suffers together.

it's why wars continue.

vec

"Evaluation is more important than calculation" - Garry Kasparov

Your source for the famous Arrowcards and other innovative goodies.

Contact -
michaelg@equinoxcoronado.com

Need ARROWCARDS FAST?
arrowcards@equinoxcoronado.com
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 08:15:39 PM »

when i was a little boy during ww2 we had what was known as "victory gardens" v,, it was my job to water the garden.Every  one had one, rabbit and goat meat was a big seller  .. gas rationed as well as shoes , meat was too.. the black market was a big deal my dad got gas becuz  of his work at the ship yards .. car pools were a big deal ... tires were hard to get...  we smashed all the tin cans to turn them in for the war. i used to wait outside of the store when my mom went in to the butcher shop the butcher  used to flirt with her and she always came out with a fine steak , if he knew she was married it would not have worked well ... house paint was hard to get because it was made with lead.my dad used to fill a thermos bottle with paint and sneak it out of the ship yards ... at the end of a week he had enuff to paint someones kitchen...  extra bucks for the family ... nylons where the big deal but you couldnt buy them ... the black market was where you went o get them..

Dude.

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot...
I'm not in  here with you , you are in here with me!...
 Of course I'm out of my mind , it's dark and scary in there...
Be a DirtBag and Fill it by Owning the Skills...
http://dirttimedude.blogspot.com visit my blog
"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
deerstalker

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 05:00:30 AM »

Of course this was when Americans shared a common goal...

everyone does, who suffers together.

Combat-Trout

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 07:16:41 AM »

when i was a little boy during ww2 we had what was known as "victory gardens" v,, it was my job to water the garden.Every  one had one, rabbit and goat meat was a big seller  .. gas rationed as well as shoes , meat was too.. the black market was a big deal my dad got gas becuz  of his work at the ship yards .. car pools were a big deal ... tires were hard to get...  we smashed all the tin cans to turn them in for the war. i used to wait outside of the store when my mom went in to the butcher shop the butcher  used to flirt with her and she always came out with a fine steak , if he knew she was married it would not have worked well ... house paint was hard to get because it was made with lead.my dad used to fill a thermos bottle with paint and sneak it out of the ship yards ... at the end of a week he had enuff to paint someones kitchen...  extra bucks for the family ... nylons where the big deal but you couldnt buy them ... the black market was where you went o get them..

Dude.

Agreed, everything was still available, you just had to work it more... scarcity adds value, and demand, and that drives people to ignore rules. Seems like there’s a lesson there everyone could all learn from...   Grin

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
Quill

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 10:50:14 AM »

The scarcity of shoes should remind people to buy quality foot wear that can last. You wouldn't even need to buy new. People buy today and never wear or receive as a gift, try them on and put them away. They are eventually sold. Here a resole cost me $65 the last time I had it done. A go shoe repair place can make them look like new again. As to the garden yeah they had them but they had to tell people it was hard work so they had plenty of lay abouts back then too.

https://youtu.be/31hB5d__UT4

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting