October 23, 2017, 05:15:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fly & dry  (Read 137 times)
Combat-Trout

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 12:22:14 AM »

....... Harvey.

I though as much, thanks for the update............good luck Smiley

Holy crap, are you getting kickbacks???  Huh?

I wade wet here from July through September, unless itís tailwater, the. Iíll wear waders, after about oct 1i wear waders till the ru off is done again in late June...

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
deerstalker

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 12:55:13 AM »

Holy crap, are you getting kickbacks???  Huh?

Nah.............just crook at the moment
deerstalker

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 05:48:54 AM »

Hip boots.............what about hip boots Huh? 

"Each hunter should have a pair of ankle fit insulated hip boots.

In Alaska's wet terrain, these are one of your most important pieces of equipment.

Alaska moose hunters often wear these from sun up to sun down every day whether they are wading streams, climbing mountains, breaking brush or hiking across tundra.

Trophy Alaska moose hunts are almost always in areas where there is a lot of water.

Your rain pants should fit over your hip boots and allow easy comfortable unrestricted movement.

Rain pants over your hip boots makes you essentially waterproof from the waist down.

Be sure your boots have no leaks and are comfortable before your Alaska moose hunt.

You will be spending a lot of time in these and do not want wet feet, blisters and hot spots to ruin your moose hunting trip in Alaska.

I recommend the rubber LaCross hip boots with 600 grams of thiosulfate in the foot and airbob soles.

These are the quietest hip boots that I know of.

Please donít bring those waterproof fabric ones because they are very noisy and moose pick up on it fast!

The key to keeping hip boots as quiet as possible is to not have them rubbing together at the knees with every step.

It is also important to have a hip boot with good aggressive tread and not the standard slick bottoms.

It can wreck a morning of your Alaska moose hunt when you step on a muddy beaver slide and find yourself landing in the river!" 

http://www.clearwateralaskaoutfitters.com/moose-hunting-gear-information
Bill S

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 07:19:35 PM »

I wear hip boots sometimes when blowing out beaver dams.  What the guy said was correct but down here in the Deep South, hip boot have another advantage. 

They're snake proof.

And they don't cover your belt so you can still get to your pistol if it turns out to be a 'gator instead of a moccasin...
deerstalker

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 03:38:55 AM »

Combat-Trout

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 06:16:32 AM »

The breathables are a bit louder out of the water, but no worse than most of the rain shells and parkas these days. Same materials. Theyíre purpose build for fishing in running water, so thatís not a typical concern. For the tundra, yeah, theyíre not ideal for hunting, buts thatís not what the OP was targeting anyway, right?

Neoprene is basically a wet suit thatís open at the top, the longer you wear it the more moisture collects inside. Ifitís tight to reduce drag in the water it doesnít breathe worth shit, They are cold and clammy because imoisture has no place to go, the water pressure makes a pretty good seal. When it gets that way it becomes its own seal when you get out of the water. For years I just assumed that was the best I could do, in summer the cold didnít bother me, in fall and winter, Iíd have so many layers and still be soaked, it sucked. The breathables donít  exhibit this moisture issue near as much... though in deep water it canít breathe either, physics. But when you get out it goes to town. It also doesnít absorb water anywhere close to neoprene. Hell, when we get off the rivers we sometimes hit the store or a local eatery before we change out.

Hop boots for snakes, Iím sure it works but youíre talking the heavy rubber versions not the neoprene right? I canít see neoprene stopping a bite. Hell, willows penetrated them if you werenít careful and walked through someplace a moose or elk chewed up a sapling leaving lots of little pointy bits...

I have a pair of neoprene that weíre top of the line 20 years ago, never came out of the box once I picked up my first pair of breathables waders. Thatís the longest Iíve had neoprene last typically they leak after 2-3 seasons. And cleaning them is a pain. My breathables are machine washable and have been going strong for a long time. Which kind of sucks, I want a new pair with the zip front... a useful thing when youíre going to spend 15 hours stalking trout... 

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
deerstalker

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 07:12:58 AM »

The breathables are a bit louder out of the water, but no worse than most of the rain shells and parkas these days. Same materials.

Not waders or hip boots but this gear is waterproof , breathable & quiet  Smiley

https://www.swazi.co.nz/shop/mens/tahr-anorak-xp/

https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/1087-Swazi-Ray-Mears-AEGIS-Tahr-XP-Anorak/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:14:47 AM by deerstalker » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting