December 14, 2017, 06:26:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heat Index  (Read 152 times)
Rooster

« on: August 12, 2017, 10:19:25 AM »

I'm on the Texas coast and it's supposed to reach 92 degrees today with humidity in the 70's percentile, not extremely hot, but the heat index is forecast to reach somewhere between 110 and 114. I was out in it for a little while yesterday and while I don't understand it and am not intending to make a big deal out it, it's not like feeling the heat of the sun bearing down on you, it's like being engulfed in heat. If someone wants to give an explanation, that would interest me and I am gonna go Goggle up HI and see what I can learn.

Rooster

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Yo soy un Indio Americano

Vayo con dios mi amigos en la fe

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
Bill S

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 11:00:51 AM »

It's 79 degrees and the humidity is 91%.  It's almost like getting in the shower.
Dodys

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:54:31 PM »

Wink As I recall,That Southern Humidity/Heat was like Taking a Hot shower ,then trying to dry off inside a Giant plastic bag out in the Hot sun! Brutal stuff this time of year down yonder way's! Ice Tea & Boiled peanuts worked well to keep the pores clean,as well as fried corn pone w/cracklins & Greens w/pot liquor to dip the corn pone in,that was almost a daily fare for myself in the summer,down yonder!
Quill

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 02:10:43 PM »

It's been nudging 90 here with humidity 70 - 98%. Can be worse in Canada.  Then as you are trying to get use to the heat, there will be a day or two with rain and highs in the mid 50s. Mowing a half acre of lawn every week with a push mower makes me go through a lot of Gatorade.  I don't try to understand it. It's just hot and humid. Soon it will be cold enough to freeze the brass monkey balls.

What's over the next hill?
deerstalker

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 05:13:46 AM »

It's been nudging 90 here with humidity 70 - 98%.

You know........ most people in the world don't consider that particularly hot Huh?  Wink

Quill

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 10:42:52 AM »

It's been nudging 90 here with humidity 70 - 98%.

You know........ most people in the world don't consider that particularly hot Huh?  Wink

They don't have subzero winter temperatures for a good part of the year.  I think those that the temperature is normal, would be parylised at -20 to -30.

Rooster

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 02:28:43 PM »

I think I'm one of those people. I elk hunted at 11,000 ft. one yr, way back in the 70's in snowy weather and almost froze to death if I didn't keep walking. I had a good down jacket with a down hood, down mittens, wool pants, insulating under wear and insulated boots. But when I would stop to take a stand, within 10 min. or so, my head, my hands and my feet would begin to chill, to the pt. of being miserable. Above my pay grade, but I've always wondered if it's something genetic, or just a continuation of years of climatization.

Rooster
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:31:22 PM by Rooster » Logged

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Yo soy un Indio Americano

Vayo con dios mi amigos en la fe

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
vector001

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »

I think I'm one of those people. I elk hunted at 11,000 ft. one yr, way back in the 70's in snowy weather and almost froze to death if I didn't keep walking. I had a good down jacket with a down hood, down mittens, wool pants, insulating under wear and insulated boots. But when I would stop to take a stand, within 10 min. or so, my head, my hands and my feet would begin to chill, to the pt. of being miserable. Above my pay grade, but I've always wondered if it's something genetic, or just a continuation of years of climatization.

Rooster

yeah, i've been thrown into a lot of conditions that i wasn't acclimatized for. there are ways around it, but the key is prep, prep, and more prep.

there's a reason you don't go far from home without a blade, a mesh bag, a poncho, fire makers, and a pot and canteen. - i have use for other stuff, but those things rarely get out of arms reach for me.

i had the opposite problem that you did, i'd stop and make myself comfortable, and then didn't want to move. - made me big on carrying plenty of calories with me, where none were provided. i've used them for others i find more than for myself.

vec

Some people bring a knife to a gunfight and win.

Some people bring swim fins to the knife fight, watch the other idiots kill each other, then take their stuff and swim happily out of zombie range.
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 09:11:44 PM »

oh yo vec... here here ... 

Dude

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot...
I'm not in  here with you , you are in here with me!...
 Of course I'm out of my mind , it's dark and scary in there...
Be a DirtBag and Fill it by Owning the Skills...
http://dirttimedude.blogspot.com visit my blog
"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
deerstalker

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 02:59:42 AM »

I think those that the temperature is normal, would be parylised at -20 to -30.

Me too Smiley
Quill

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »

Being in good shape is part of the equation.  But becoming acclimated quickly is important. I try to stay out of airconditioning and not wear heavy clothing until it is needed. Might be uncomfortable to start with. Temps are relative. After a  week of -20 , 0 feels pretty good.

vector001

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 03:09:33 PM »

Being in good shape is part of the equation.  But becoming acclimated quickly is important. I try to stay out of airconditioning and not wear heavy clothing until it is needed. Might be uncomfortable to start with. Temps are relative. After a  week of -20 , 0 feels pretty good.

one thing i like about the cold is how hard muscles can work. and recover. at least, if you have a lot of Northern blood in ya.

i stand in the freezers at one of my jobs for an hour or so at a time, throwing giant sides of swordfish and tuna around, in just a T-shirt and some cargo pants and Crocs. since everyone else is Mexican or female, it is job security, and really a great way to get a flat stomach when the gourmet lunch and breakfast is taking its toll amidships!

i figure that i burn about 1000 calories in that hour, then i come out with a frozen beard and rosy cheeks and someone stuffs about 3000 calories of gourmet street tacos in my face.  Roll Eyes

so much for the flat stomach.

vec

Some people bring a knife to a gunfight and win.

Some people bring swim fins to the knife fight, watch the other idiots kill each other, then take their stuff and swim happily out of zombie range.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting