December 11, 2017, 08:53:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 gal. German Jerry Can  (Read 442 times)
Rooster

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 11:49:50 PM »

My plan was to rotate them into my jeep and then refill them with fresh fuel. How often should I do that to be assured that the gas is still fresh?

Rooster

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Yo soy un Indio Americano

Vayo con dios mi amigos en la fe

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
deerstalker

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 08:45:27 AM »

My plan was to rotate them into my jeep and then refill them with fresh fuel. How often should I do that to be assured that the gas is still fresh?

Not sure, but why not do it every month or so Huh?
Rooster

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 09:41:21 AM »

I'm hoping for two or three months and avoiding Stabil, which I'm not against, but since there's no shortage why not just rotate them and know that the fuel is fresh.

Rooster

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
Drivebytrucker

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 11:42:03 AM »

It's a chore but I do feel that is most prudent. Those cans are heavy and it's usually a little messy. If you could work out a way to make the chore easier (maybe siphon it with a hand pump while the Jerry Can is on the roof of the vehicle or something) then that would make it much easier. Hopefully CT, Vec, Dude, Dodys, Quill and others will chime in. Stabil may not be good long term for the innards of your fuel tank and engine but I cannot comfirm that. I know for certain that you can have gas in there for two months at the least and be just fine but you will lose some BTUs which will effect your mpg. So let's say you fill up your tank from 0%-100% from gasoline that's been stored for four months. It should start up and run just fine but it may be (Maybe) that your fuel will only provide the same MPG that you would get with 3/4's of a tank of fresh fuel. You live in a relatively stabil climate with no winter mix gasoline so you have that on your side. If you park your vehicle inside a garage that will be even better for the stored gasoline.

You shoule be fine rotating it in every 4 months.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:29:08 PM by Drivebytrucker » Logged
Rooster

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 06:55:22 PM »

I checked the gaskets on the can and the spout. They're blk. rubber and look new so I ran the gasoline test on them and had no smudges or smears. The second can showed up via ups so now I've got to check it but the visual is good, it looks new too. Thank's again for the tip.

Rooster

Ran the gasoline test on the gasket of the second can and got some light smudges. I'll have to watch that one.

Rooster

Rooster

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 08:50:46 PM »

I ordered a couple of extra gaskets, too easy not to be prepared.

Rooster

Combat-Trout

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 09:44:43 PM »

It's a chore but I do feel that is most prudent. Those cans are heavy and it's usually a little messy. If you could work out a way to make the chore easier (maybe siphon it with a hand pump while the Jerry Can is on the roof of the vehicle or something) then that would make it much easier. Hopefully CT, Vec, Dude, Dodys, Quill and others will chime in. Stabil may not be good long term for the innards of your fuel tank and engine but I cannot comfirm that. I know for certain that you can have gas in there for two months at the least and be just fine but you will lose some BTUs which will effect your mpg. So let's say you fill up your tank from 0%-100% from gasoline that's been stored for four months. It should start up and run just fine but it may be (Maybe) that your fuel will only provide the same MPG that you would get with 3/4's of a tank of fresh fuel. You live in a relatively stabil climate with no winter mix gasoline so you have that on your side. If you park your vehicle inside a garage that will be even better for the stored gasoline.

You shoule be fine rotating it in every 4 months.

I've had mixed results with stabil... I try to rotate. But having said that I have gas at the cabin all year, and even after a year it's not noticeably worse in the tractor of atv. For diesel I'm using pri-d, a little goes a long way and seems to work, though only have a year on some of that.  They also make a pri-g, I haven't tried that yet.

Rotating is best, but there's a lot of moving things around and those things are heavy and bulky, the new carb nozzles suck, takes forever to pour it.

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
Rooster

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 06:11:54 PM »

I filled and tested the second Jerry can today, turned it upside down and shook it and found no drips, leaks or moisture. I'm glad to have them, security.

Rooster

Rooster

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »

Two spare gaskets showed up, USPS today for the cans. Feels good, another step in prepping, being prepared.

Rooster

Quill

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 10:08:50 PM »

Meant to post here before. The German cans are cheaper because they are not DOT approved or certified. You have to be careful hauling them with fuel. It is why I take the time to fix older cans. Cheaper than new for steal. For water I use the plastic made for the US government.

What's over the next hill?
vector001

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 09:33:58 PM »

It's a chore but I do feel that is most prudent. Those cans are heavy and it's usually a little messy. If you could work out a way to make the chore easier (maybe siphon it with a hand pump while the Jerry Can is on the roof of the vehicle or something) then that would make it much easier. Hopefully CT, Vec, Dude, Dodys, Quill and others will chime in.

i'm not super smart, but parking next to something like a hurricane fence and leaning a 2 x 4 on the opposite side, with paracord attaching the top end of the 2 x 4 to the tank (when end of board is pulled down to tank at ground level) and another hank of cord attached to the far end of the board, threaded though the fence, allows ya to hoist and hold a full tank fairly effortlessly. you can get a little fancier with this concept, with the cord, counterweights, etc., but this simple way is good enough IME.

like a see-saw.

you can also tie the whole operation down and just hoist the tank up on a V-line, so you can tip it weightlessly. - good for those situations when a redhead is in the free arm.

vec

Some people bring a knife to a gunfight and win.

Some people bring swim fins to the knife fight, watch the other idiots kill each other, then take their stuff and swim happily out of zombie range.
Quill

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »

Easiest way to transfer fuel.

https://www.amazon.com/W8sunjs-Universal-Heavy-Electric-Petrol/dp/B00L8IHM9K/ref=lp_15728151_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1511889097&sr=1-4

You can buy better but more expensive ones. Stick to the low volume ones.

What's over the next hill?
Petzlglyph

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 01:52:20 AM »

I have four of those same cans and used Stabil in one of them and it made the inner coating peel off, it completely clogged the screen in the spout.  Luckily very little of the junk made it into my tank.  It took a lot of effort to clean it all out.

Others may disagree or have a different opinion but over the last year I have used strictly gas without ethanol in all my generators, compressors and gas powered tools and have had better results with storage and less starting issues.  Find it with this site: https://www.pure-gas.org/  in your area.  I know your not supposed to but I have stored gas for over a year w/o stabilizer and poured it into a partial tank full and had no issues.

My current favorite gas can is the "racing" can.  similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/VP-Gallon-Square-Racing-Utility/dp/B00OJ7MCA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512027686&sr=8-1&keywords=racing+gas+cans

Not DOT approved but they empty fast and have not had any leaks.

The lower the level of preparation, the higher the odds of being hopelessly lost!    Knowledge is like fertilizer, it won't do you any good unless you spread it around.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting