November 19, 2017, 08:21:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Built an AR15A1 Today  (Read 106 times)
Bill S

« on: July 16, 2017, 06:35:31 PM »

I have been collecting parts for an A1 for a while.  I got the last parts in a couple of weeks ago and had some free time today, so I put it together.  One slight fitting problem, the buffer tube was about 1/64th of an inch too long,it wouldn't let the upper seat far enough to push in the lower take down pin.  I had to take it off and do a couple of minutes of filing, fitting, the filing again.  I used surplus stock, pistol grip and triangular hand guards from an online source, I also used a three prong flash suppressor.  And everybody that says three prong isn't correct wasn't on active duty in the 70's, there were rifles with three prong flash suppressors on A1's up until we replaced the A1's with A2's.  In the 80's. 

I'm going to try to test fire it later this week and zero it then if it works.  If it doesn't work, I'll fix it and then zero it.  I consider this a project gun, just for snits and giggles.  But it will work.
vector001

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 07:25:39 PM »

the A1 was a handsome weapon.

vec

"Evaluation is more important than calculation" - Garry Kasparov

Your source for the famous Arrowcards and other innovative goodies.

Contact -
michaelg@equinoxcoronado.com

Need ARROWCARDS FAST?
arrowcards@equinoxcoronado.com
Rooster

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »

Good luck, with no glitches.

Rooster

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Yo soy un Indio Americano

Vayo con dios mi amigos en la fe

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
Erg

I love my home lobotomy kit...

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 11:12:51 PM »

I am jealous.   Please let us know what happened at the range.   Any chance of photos?
deerstalker

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 04:56:59 AM »

I have been collecting parts for an A1 for a while.  I got the last parts in a couple of weeks ago and had some free time today, so I put it together. 

I'm going to try to test fire it later this week and zero it then if it works.  If it doesn't work, I'll fix it and then zero it.  I consider this a project gun, just for snits and giggles.  But it will work.

I'm sure it will  Huh? Roll Eyes

Have fun  
Bill S

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 10:14:56 PM »

I have several USGI 20 round magazines, I loaded one up with steel cased and walked out to the creek.  I fired all 20 without a glitch.  Sights seem to be fairly close with just 12/16 but I was only able to fire out to about 30 yards and still have a backstop.  Nothing blew up or fell off the rifle, so that's a good thing. 

Can't use my range, it's a hay field and right now the grass is too high to see my targets.  And it will probably stay that way for another couple of weeks until the ground dries up enough to run equipment over it and not sink.
vector001

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 10:55:25 PM »

I have several USGI 20 round magazines, I loaded one up with steel cased and walked out to the creek.  I fired all 20 without a glitch.  Sights seem to be fairly close with just 12/16 but I was only able to fire out to about 30 yards and still have a backstop.  Nothing blew up or fell off the rifle, so that's a good thing. 

Can't use my range, it's a hay field and right now the grass is too high to see my targets.  And it will probably stay that way for another couple of weeks until the ground dries up enough to run equipment over it and not sink.

hay field? that's some money.

vec

"Evaluation is more important than calculation" - Garry Kasparov

Your source for the famous Arrowcards and other innovative goodies.

Contact -
michaelg@equinoxcoronado.com

Need ARROWCARDS FAST?
arrowcards@equinoxcoronado.com
Quill

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 05:23:29 PM »

hay field? that's some money.

vec

Not so much where we live. Hay is easy to come by. I have thought of hauling hay to Arizona, but by the time the government is done with you the profit drops. No a Mexican here that tried to get me to haul a load of horses to Mexico with him as in I front the money. Again by the time the government is done with you, then you have to hope some Mexicans don't run off with everything. Not that the various states DOT will leave much to steal. Then some PETA fool would be after us with accusations that we are selling them to be slaughtered. When they really need good horses in Mexico period.

Sorry I need to get away from public officials and most of humanity for a few days. They are getting on my nerves.

What's over the next hill?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting