November 19, 2017, 08:18:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Underground  (Read 417 times)
deerstalker

« on: July 14, 2017, 06:52:06 PM »

Sort of........... Smiley

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-14/nigel-kirkwood-inside-his-hobbit-house/8706758
deerstalker

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 06:55:55 PM »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-14/nigel-kirkwood-standing-on-house/8706704
deerstalker

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 06:56:23 PM »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-14/hobbit-house/8706746

Bill S

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 08:37:18 PM »

I get the pictures but no writing in the article?

Anyways, that's not exactly a hobbit house.  Looks more like a buried Quonset hut with both ends open.  How thick is the top layer of dirt?  And judging by the large burlap roll on one end, he's having problems with erosion washing or blowing dirt down in both entrances.
deerstalker

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 01:41:05 AM »

I get the pictures but no writing in the article?

DS - me too & not all on one page either Huh?

Anyways, that's not exactly a hobbit house.  Looks more like a buried Quonset hut with both ends open.  

DS - yes, earth covered is a better description. Smiley

Potentially:- energy efficient; fire resistant; quick, cheap, simple to build & aesthetically pleasing IMO though.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:06:34 AM by deerstalker » Logged
punaforge

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 05:33:43 AM »

Kind of a crappy job of it

At the farthest point from anywhere

There has always been, and will always be, the problem of surviving the experience that any trained expert can handle ... when there hasn't been any first survivor to be an expert! When no one has ever gotten back to explain what happened........... E.E.Smith
deerstalker

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 06:46:18 AM »

He's a miner  Wink
Bill S

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 08:32:44 AM »

I'm not sure it will be all that cheap.

That's a lot of dirt on top, lots of weight that will require some serious internal support.  Plus, around here, it rains.  Sometimes, rather a lot.  More weight.  Plus, fixing a leak in the roof is going to be a major PITA.   Grin

You will also need a fairly serious drainage system to handle the water that will flow around the entrances and some way to handle any that gets in or if a pipe breaks.  And what about earth sloughing or sliding off?  You end up with a tin roof.

I think it is an interesting concept that seems to be better in a fairly arid area.  And it will probably save money, in the long term.  Up front costs are going to be the problem.

I didn't see any, are there some form of sky lights to let in air and light?
Rooster

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 05:32:57 PM »

Y'all know that Cody Lunden claims that he's got one that works, 9 degrees F outside and 72 degrees inside plus in the heat of the desert he says his home stays in the mid to high 70's. I guess it was a pretty expensive project or he may actually have some knowledge that's reasonable to put into practice. The front of the house is very high and almost nothing but windows and a floor of rock or tile that soaks up heat during the day and that dispenses it during the night. He also says that all inside walls are parabolic which aids in the heating and cooling. Forgive my cynicism, its Cody's sales pitch but it appears to be working. Undecided

Rooster
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:05:02 PM by Rooster » Logged

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Yo soy un Indio Americano

Vayo con dios mi amigos en la fe

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
deerstalker

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 04:29:54 AM »

I'm not sure it will be all that cheap.

It may not suit everyone, everywhere that's for sure, however..........

That guy just took advantage of local materials, conditions and his experience in mining.

Cheap is a relative term, but I don't see it costing as much as a conventional home - it looks pretty minimalist in terms of fit out  Huh?

I looks like a tunnel to me, so very simple, with light at both ends & perfect through ventilation depending on orientation.

Structurally, those plates are designed for that purpose but with imposed loads including vehicles as well as the soil etc. - arches are strong.

Reinforced concrete and reinforced earth are proven technologies.

I'd be very confident about waterproofing it, but the details matter.

Soil is often cheap depending where you live........ in some locations you could be paid to accept it.

I would expect it to be maintenance free if well done.

Personally I'm very comfortable with civil works so to me it looks like a very easy project  - I prefer to work with big components & big machinery.

In my world cranes and earth movers are cheaper than people.

http://www.bigrbridge.com/en/home/products/structuralplateproducts/default.aspx

Our Parliament House is earth covered Wink

deerstalker

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 04:39:29 AM »

Y'all know that Cody Lunden claims that he's got one that works, ..........

Yes
Bill S

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »

Well, around here, the first thing you would have to build is a hill.  Otherwise, what you are building is a covered underground swimming pool.
deerstalker

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 02:47:03 AM »

Well, around here, the first thing you would have to build is a hill.  Otherwise, what you are building is a covered underground swimming pool.

ok    Cheesy
Bill S

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 08:27:04 AM »

I'm on a coastal plain and in a river swamp, water table is pretty high and it gets higher during wet weather.  Go north of my place by about 50 miles or so, you start seeing hills. 

And tornado shelters in people's back yards.
Quill

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 03:20:52 PM »

Be right nice in tornado alley. Not as hard to build as concrete.

What's over the next hill?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting