October 21, 2017, 09:47:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Axes  (Read 450 times)
Combat-Trout

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 08:19:35 AM »

Do you know how many chainsaws I can get for the price of ONE of those axes?

Probably not one of the competition saws those blokes use though  Wink Cheesy

https://www.stihlusa.com/stihl-timbersports/disciplines/hot-saw/

No, but racing toys typically won't perform real work reliably for long periods and they typically required a lot of maintenance. Look at race cars, many break down over a race, and even if they don't they get rebuilt every week or two. It you have time and money awesome, but if you need to drive from LA to Denver, not so much...

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
deerstalker

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 08:23:37 AM »

No, but racing toys typically won't perform real work reliably for long periods ........

True 
deerstalker

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 08:28:37 AM »

"With so little chainsaw left, hotsaws are often the source of heartache. The motors are tuned to run on the ragged edge, producing maximum power to make fast cuts. Sometimes they do not start immediately. This can be due to weather change, something shaking loose on the ride to the contest, or the motor wearing connections out since it is no longer riding safely in the dirt bike frame. Many stressful moments pass before the scream of a clean start gives the lumberjacks hope they are going to be able to make a successful run. At the same time, after a good warm up, with the decompression buttons depressed and the starter cord wrapped, there is nothing but silence waiting for the starters gun. Then, hammering 60 horsepower through a down cut, up cut and down cut in 5.5 seconds is one of the sweetest feelings in the sport."

deerstalker

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 08:11:51 AM »

Grinds.......... Smiley

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/c294ae_23ea0ded8df04dad938b6543a16ec64c.pdf
Rooster

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 11:26:30 AM »

Talk me out of a Gransfor Bruks Ray Mears Wilderness Axe. It's basically a cross between GB's small forest axe, which is sm. (packable) but two handed and GB's Scandinavian Forest axe. The head is a bit larger than the sm. forest axe, I think a bit smaller than the Scandinavian with a handle 4 or 5 in. longer than the sm. forest and an in. shorter than the Scandinavian. What attracts me most is that it is manufactured by hand on a 40 yr. old hammer press whereas the other GB are forged in masse by  large presses The manufacture of this axe is getting a lot of hands on attention by a blacksmith and is only produced in sm. quantities. I need one. Grin

Rooster
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:08:01 PM by Rooster » Logged

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Yo soy un Indio Americano

Vayo con dios mi amigos en la fe

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
deerstalker

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 05:09:37 AM »

Talk me out of a Gransfor Bruks Ray Mears Wilderness Axe.

I need one. Grin

No doubt about it.

Quill

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »

For  $148 plus shipping when you can get a capable tool in the Cold Steel Trail Boss for a lot cheaper? You can buy it, store it for 5 years and some fool will later pay $700 for it like what happened to the Woodlore. Forget that, add some more cash and by a vec hawk.

What's over the next hill?
Rooster

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 10:57:51 AM »

I'm shifting gears Quill, I had a 12 hour power outage and it brought to light my need for a cell phone and I'm gonna buy some kind of small generator, 3500/4000W. In a real emergency I want power for the ice box and my 5 cu. ft. freezer and at least a fan if not a small ac. I'm new at this generator business and exactly what one will do, but I'm going to buy one. So, no axe for now.

Rooster

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
Drivebytrucker

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 10:10:38 PM »

The Honda 2000 is well vetted. Two can be ran in series to make 4000.
vector001

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 11:40:54 PM »

The Honda 2000 is well vetted. Two can be ran in series to make 4000.

Harbor Freight has knock offs of all those things, might be worth a look.

vec

"Evaluation is more important than calculation" - Garry Kasparov

Your source for the famous Arrowcards and other innovative goodies.

Contact -
michaelg@equinoxcoronado.com

Need ARROWCARDS FAST?
arrowcards@equinoxcoronado.com
Rooster

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 12:57:29 AM »

That's probably exactly what I'm gonna do, because of you and that's exactly what my cousin recommended, Predator, a Honda knock off that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. He recommended the 2000 watt but for $200.00 more I can get to 3500 watts which seems like would give me more leeway for appliances.

Much thank's, Rooster
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:16:25 AM by Rooster » Logged

deerstalker

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 05:42:28 AM »

Two can be ran in series to make 4000.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-parallel-capability
deerstalker

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 06:52:35 AM »

I'm shifting gears Quill, I had a 12 hour power outage and it brought to light my need for a cell phone and I'm gonna buy some kind of small generator, 3500/4000W.

So, no axe for now.

Sad
Quill

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 09:44:45 AM »

Make sure you get equal fuel consumption. Harbor Freight has a tendency to put a bigger fuel tank on to get equal or more run time. The Honda and Yamaha models are not only quieter but sip fuel. Also set up a way to anchor from theft.

What's over the next hill?
shooten

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 02:11:54 PM »

+1 for GB.  Don't bother with Weterlings (sp?).  I had the blade chip two years ago after 5 years of life and light use.  I took great care of it too.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting