October 21, 2017, 09:46:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Food bowl  (Read 306 times)
deerstalker

« on: May 05, 2017, 04:11:42 AM »

A few years old but an interesting summary IMO Smiley

"California’s expansive Central Valley, which is really two valleys: the San Joaquin to the south and Sacramento to the north. All told, the Central Valley is about 450 miles long, from Bakersfield up to Redding, and is 60 miles at its widest, between the Sierra Nevada to the east and the Coast Ranges to the west. It’s larger than nine different states, but size is only one of its defining characteristics: the valley is the world’s largest patch of Class 1 soil, the best there is. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/magazine/californias-central-valley-land-of-a-billion-vegetables.html
Combat-Trout

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 07:51:08 AM »

But it still tastes like dirt... Based on the practices and how much pesticide and chemicals are used I wonder how long it will last until we exhaust it. Add to that silly water policies and it's scary. It's a wonderful gift, that will be squeezed for every penny by agribusiness, at which point it'll be paved for strip malls... it's not an overnight thing, but it doesn't take much to destroy that, and let me tell you, the bees are besieged this year. Without them that valley will have big problems... corporate beekeepers are treating hives like annual disposables instead of even trying to manage for long term health. Gonna be a lot of hungry people if we doesn't treat this humble insect better... we all know what happens when Monsanto controls your food chain. Hell, I'm surprised they haven't found a way to control air yet... ants where the real profit is!

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
Quill

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 10:14:42 AM »

Much like the Midwest grain belt, which by the way could out grow California. Shorter growing season. Still a tremendous food producing area. Much of it sits unused or wasted on corn and soybeans. Fertility of the soil is lacking because it's all comercial fertilizer. All the good fertilizer from livestock is wasted or polluted with drugs to keep stockyard animals alive. Cattle, hogs and most livestock could be produced just as well if spread over the country like it use to be. Fertilize the land, produce healthier animals to eat. Yeah it might require a bit more work because the fence infrastructure is gone. On the other hand you don't have to pump feed and medications through them daily. Modern farming has twisted the understanding of crop and livestock raising into the hands of a few corporate farms. They know all and do what's best for us. Tongue

What's over the next hill?
deerstalker

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 05:10:25 PM »

"After stints as a painter and a teacher, Buxman bought a majority of his 58-acre family farm from his father 30 years ago and went broke almost immediately. He survived, incredibly, by selling art, and now he is one of the best tree-fruit growers in the state. Part of the land he purchased had been contaminated by a once-popular soil-treatment chemical known as DBCP that was believed to double grape yields. That is, until it was shown to cause sterility and maybe worse. Health officials told Buxman that not only should he not use his groundwater on his crops but also that his family shouldn’t wash in it, cook with it or breathe near it. Buxman’s 32-year-old son, Wyeth, came down with leukemia when he was 3. Buxman became an organic farmer immediately."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,2-Dibromo-3-chloropropane
deerstalker

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 05:12:14 PM »

"The Willeys are pioneers in the organic (and fair) farm movement, and Tom is as articulate and committed a representative of it as I’ve found. He’s unshakable in his belief in organic farming, though “we’re all pioneers,” he reminded me.

“For 95 percent of history, we were hunter-gatherers. There’s no reason to assume that agriculture of any kind will be successful in the long run.”"

deerstalker

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 05:32:50 PM »

"Now the valley yields a third of all the produce grown in the United States. Unlike the Midwest, which concentrates (devastatingly) on corn and soybeans, more than 230 crops are grown in the valley, ............."
Fuer Grissa Ost Drauka
Lynch Mob

Redneck Iconoclast

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 02:35:55 AM »

But it still tastes like dirt... Based on the practices and how much pesticide and chemicals are used I wonder how long it will last until we exhaust it. Add to that silly water policies and it's scary. It's a wonderful gift, that will be squeezed for every penny by agribusiness, at which point it'll be paved for strip malls... it's not an overnight thing, but it doesn't take much to destroy that, and let me tell you, the bees are besieged this year. Without them that valley will have big problems... corporate beekeepers are treating hives like annual disposables instead of even trying to manage for long term health. Gonna be a lot of hungry people if we doesn't treat this humble insect better... we all know what happens when Monsanto controls your food chain. Hell, I'm surprised they haven't found a way to control air yet... ants where the real profit is!
Truer words. Doing a Google search for "Congress created dust bowl" is a fun trip down a rabbit hole...

Pacifism is the abdication of life.(™)
Civility is over-rated.(™)
The cure for anything is salt water- sweat, tears, or the sea.
-Isak Dinesen.
deerstalker

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 05:24:40 AM »

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/43521258/ns/us_news-environment/t/calif-dust-bowl-real-danger-or-mirage/
deerstalker

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 07:19:57 AM »

.......... ants where the real profit is!

All the components matter........ especially fungus it seems 
Combat-Trout

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 07:20:58 AM »

.......... ants where the real profit is!

All the components matter........ especially fungus it seems 

Fungus is huge...

One thing I've seen over the years is the lose of farms. I grew up in the San Fernando valley in SoCal, lots of fruit, small farms, etc, farmers markets had great stuff and all year. When I left it was all being trucked in, nomplace to grow because houses made money now. Same thing is happening here in Utah, cash the check and get out... giving up control of your security is bad regardless of the nature. Depending solely on anyone else for food, financial, or physical security is the road to hell...

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
deerstalker

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 07:25:15 AM »

Depending solely on anyone else for food, financial, or physical security is the road to hell...

deerstalker

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 07:38:17 AM »

Fungus is huge...

It is Smiley

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-largest-organism-is-fungus/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting