November 19, 2017, 08:23:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BOB Value  (Read 978 times)
Quill

« on: April 03, 2017, 10:56:52 PM »

So going through my set up for summer I started to think, some of what had was to valuable to loose. Whether stolen from vehicle or say you go trough a well guarded area where want to search your bag.Is it wise to carry high end gear and all the sudden it is seized? Of course we want to be on the ball and hide our good stuff if coming to a check point. My feeling is carry low end easily replaced serviceable equipment. What you feel okay leaving in a cache. For me it was knife switch, cheaper watch and few other things. Not even my best wool blankets.

What's over the next hill?
deerstalker

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 04:55:02 AM »

Is it wise to carry high end gear and all the sudden it is seized?

No...........

But, what is the point of the good gear if you leave it at home for the looters Huh? Undecided

You may never return home or to a cache - ask any archaeologist Wink

Quill

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 10:26:39 AM »

For me, the bag is merely a get home one. I don't live in an area where evacuation is needed. Don't think there ever has been one. Still I travel at times and might need it to get home. I still use my good gear for hunting, fishing, camping and other outdoor activities. As to quality, you can get suitable quality for cheap. Fit and finish may not be great but they don't effect performance. I can skin a rabbit with a piece of broken glass the same as 100 to 1000 dollar knife. Loosing a 10 dollar Chinese knife as opposed to Reeves Sebenza is easier to take. This is only in an application where items could be confiscated or a window broken and a bag stolen.

Rooster

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 10:43:40 AM »

My first thought is to go with minimal gear. If you're out on a quick overnight trip, then hopefully low end gear should suffice. For an extended trip, I'd want some of my better gear for warmth, durability and quality.
 It's kind of a knife leads to the handgun, leads to the rifle, leads to the vehicle to get me out of a bad situation. So what you want with you is what you know will get you back home.

Rooster

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Yo soy un Indio Americano

Vayo con dios mi amigos en la fe

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
Combat-Trout

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 02:01:46 PM »

I think DS is on it, use what you use, leaving it at home is almost as risky in some ways. Buy good quality/value and be happy. The really cheap crap may work but may not work long enough to get home, if it's not going to last for everyday use, it's probably not worth counting on under stress. Other side of the coin, don't buy collector pieces under the guise of everyday tools. They're to expensive to use and you won't know how they really work under stress.

Buy what you can use and learn on, and that's what you can count on.

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
Quill

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 03:52:02 PM »

Inexpensive doesn't mean it won't work. I pulled a high end knife and put an inexpensive one in its place. My cheap Rough Rider knife cuts and is as solid as the more expensive American made that it replaced. One nice thing with people thinking all Chinese stuff is garbage, is that it leaves the Chinese stuff alone. Kind of like all the people that think carp are garbage to eat. The people who know better sit well fed while the others go hungry. Good old Spam has the same rep. The stuff in my bag now has no sentimental value and less cost to replace.
 By the way I  have knives, that sit in tackle boxes, tool boxes and glove compartments that are excellent knives, but cost under $30. Even my Condors cost more than that to replace. I am not saying replace everything with dollar store junk. Make sure the stuff you have works. A cheap stainless steel mug from Walmart doesn't hurt to loose as much as a titanium one from REI.

deerstalker

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 05:17:22 AM »

For me, the bag is merely a get home one.

Bugging out normally refers to leaving home Huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag

There's lots-o-bags Roll Eyes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Bags

Sound like you've got a genuine get home bag to me Smiley Wink Cheesy

Combat-Trout

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 10:00:49 AM »

For me, the bag is merely a get home one.

Bugging out normally refers to leaving home Huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag

There's lots-o-bags Roll Eyes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Bags

Sound like you've got a genuine get home bag to me Smiley Wink Cheesy

Depends right? In a lot of cases we're better off getting to home than where ever else we are.

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
Drivebytrucker

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 06:08:04 PM »

It depends. As DS said there are many bags and the get home bag that you leave in your vehical won't likely be as good as the one you keep loaded (presumably you do keep it loaded and ready to grab and go) at home should the need arrise. Then again your vehicle may be well suited to keeping a bag stowed away safely. Not all of us do. In which case you may feel better about having your best or close to your best in there. As for it being stolen by mauriding gangs or gustapo authorities; If it gets that bad then have bigger problems then losing expensive gear.
deerstalker

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 06:09:54 AM »

In a lot of cases we're better off getting to home than where ever else we are.

Of course
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting