June 24, 2017, 08:41:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Parched Corn  (Read 853 times)
Quill

« on: January 24, 2017, 02:42:17 PM »

I saw an interesting way to parch corn buy using an air popcorn/coffee roaster. Certainly not the original way but fairly easy. Wife is hesitant to let me use her old one  Undecided so I ordered an inexpensive one on ebay for $20.

Maybe some remember Dude's discussion with Alan and Christopher. 

https://youtu.be/F9ekge-HIl8

Now I had read Britton Davis book on the Geronimo campaign and mentioned parched wheat. I believe that it was ground for pinole but not sure.  Is it possible? notice this quote from 1Samuel 17:17
17Then Jesse said to David his son, "Take now for your brothers an ephah of this roasted grain and these ten loaves and run to the camp to your brothers.
New American Standard Bible

So they used roasted grains in places other than the Americas and a long time back. I don't know why Dude doesn't remember this as he taught David to use a sling.

I have some wheat I will try after I get the popper here and try the corn. You should be able to find one at a garage sale or Goodwill type place if you don't have one or like me not allowed to use it. Remember some corns pop as does amaranth grain, sorghum, quinoa and millet.

Rock-a-hominy is the eastern term for pinole and I believe it was the original form of cold flour. Nowadays cold flour is thought to be a form of corn meal mush most of the time.

What's over the next hill?
Rooster

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 08:37:14 PM »

I saw an interesting way to parch corn buy using an air popcorn/coffee roaster. Certainly not the original way but fairly easy. Wife is hesitant to let me use her old one  Undecided so I ordered an inexpensive one on ebay for $20.

https://youtu.be/F9ekge-HIl8

Now I had read Britton Davis book on the Geronimo campaign and mentioned parched wheat. I believe that it was ground for pinole but not sure.  Is it possible? notice this quote from 1Samuel 17:17
17Then Jesse said to David his son, "Take now for your brothers an ephah of this roasted grain and these ten loaves and run to the camp to your brothers.
New American Standard Bible

So they used roasted grains in places other than the Americas and a long time back. I don't know why Dude doesn't remember this as he taught David to use a sling.

I have some wheat I will try after I get the popper here and try the corn. You should be able to find one at a garage sale or Goodwill type place if you don't have one or like me not allowed to use it. Remember some corns pop as does amaranth grain, sorghum, quinoa and millet.

Rock-a-hominy is the eastern term for pinole and I believe it was the original form of cold flour. Nowadays cold flour is thought to be a form of corn meal mush most of the time.

Keep us posted, I want to learn.

Rooster
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:21:52 PM by Rooster » Logged

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Yo soy un Indio Americano

Vaya con dios mi amigos en la fe

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
deerstalker

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 09:17:48 PM »

I do....

I remember Rooster Cogburn and his corn dodgers too. Wink

Kurrajong seeds could be treated similarly I guess, but I don't know their nutritional value.

http://dirttime.com/the-kurrajong-tree-golden-seeds-from-down-under

http://www.dirttimeforum.com/index.php?topic=8342.0
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:19:49 PM by deerstalker » Logged
Drivebytrucker

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 11:30:29 PM »

I've been meaning to try my corn popper for roasting coffee beans. I haven't tried it yet. Using it for making parch corn would be great. Any other uses for it? Where do you buy the corn to parch?
Quill

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 08:53:07 AM »

I've been meaning to try my corn popper for roasting coffee beans. I haven't tried it yet. Using it for making parch corn would be great. Any other uses for it? Where do you buy the corn to parch?

I had a bunch of sweetcorn in the freezer to get rid of. My wife bought a case on sale and the kernels were tough. So into the dehydrator. You can use an oven. The link to the DirtTime video explains it fairly well. Some people when just making pinole or rock-a-hominy used parched corn meal from Indian corn or even Bob's Red Mill.

Bill S

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 09:45:08 AM »

I tried parching corn in a frying pan.  I'm pretty sure that I got it too hot and scorched it because it tasted like burned sawdust and while edible, you would look at that stuff for a while and you didn't feel hungry anymore.

So, I guess it worked.  Not much nutritional value, though.   Grin
Quill

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 01:33:17 PM »

I tried parching corn in a frying pan.  I'm pretty sure that I got it too hot and scorched it because it tasted like burned sawdust and while edible, you would look at that stuff for a while and you didn't feel hungry anymore.

So, I guess it worked.  Not much nutritional value, though.   Grin

That is why I am hesitant to just toss in the fry pan. Don't really want failure right out of the gate. Will need to learn the process with a cast iron or steel skillet. I intend to use an electric grinder to get grind nice.

Bill S

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 08:09:51 PM »

Well, don't do like I did, I made a bunch and scorched it all.  Ended up tossing it.  Stuff was inedible.  Birds wouldn't eat it. 

I should have made just a hand full and then tasted it, repeating until I had gone from barely cooked to "Ooops, that was on too long," or I had used up all the corn.   Somewhere in there was what I was trying to get to.
Quill

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 06:43:45 PM »

Well my dried sweetcorn was to light and blew out the spout making a mess. Guess I need to make some from flint corn when I can get it. Could buy Masa flour and use it. I wonder if all corns will cause niacin deficiency? Guess Rock-a Hominy is called that because they used hominy corn. Same process is used to make Masa. It also makes it last longer and gives more calcium.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting