October 23, 2017, 02:39:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chop-off #3 with Svord Machete  (Read 1626 times)
Rooster

« on: January 17, 2017, 01:36:07 PM »

The Svord machete chopped through 2 1/2 in. of 1x4, beating the 7" Siegle(1 7/8") and the 12" Collins(2 1/4 in). The Svord has a real "slicer" feel to it, where as the Collins feels more powerful and obviously they are very close in performance. Neither of the three was dulled to the pt. of needing to be resharpened and all three blades were/are razor or shaving sharp with the Svord being of the thinnest stock, 3/32, the Collins 1/8 and the Siegle 1/4 in.

Hope all are well, Rooster
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:22:35 PM by Rooster » Logged

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Yo soy un Indio Americano

Vayo con dios mi amigos en la fe

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
deerstalker

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 04:51:15 PM »

The Svord has a real "slicer" feel to it, where as the Collins feels more powerful and obviously they are very close in performance.

Svords have a convex ground edge.

Rooster

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 06:13:33 PM »

The Svord has a real "slicer" feel to it, where as the Collins feels more powerful and obviously they are very close in performance.

Svords have a convex ground edge.

Quite a slicer/chopper. I wish he'd put a micarta, G10 or even wood handle on it. I've read that he uses heat to install those polywhatever handles, but i'm just a little leery of them.

Stay well, Rooster

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
deerstalker

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »

The machete was originally supplied with timber handles.

http://s1234.photobucket.com/user/MrHappymoose/media/Misc/DSCF8440.jpg.html

The Golok comes with various handles including Micarta.

http://www.blademaster.co.nz/shop/Shop+by+Brands/Svord/-SVG.html

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SVOGG10/svord-golok-british-army-pattern-machete-11-carbon-steel-blade-g10-handle-leather-sheath

New Zealanders are often a little quirky IMO............Svord are no exception.

They seem to do short production runs of some products then inexplicably stop and some variations never make it to their website.

BTW............I'm a Golok man myself 

deerstalker

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 06:53:27 PM »

I've read that he uses heat to install those polywhatever handles,

I'd assumed they were "cast" polyethylene Huh?
scottman

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 07:27:13 PM »

how thick are each blade 3/8 inward from the apex?
Rooster

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 08:54:34 PM »

Please accept my apology for being so slow in answering your question. But, the Siegle is 1/8.1 on the micrometer, but it is a tapered clip point and one in. from the tip is 1/4 of an in. and at two in. is 2.2plus which follows all the way down the spine.  The 12 in. Collins is  1(1/8).1 and follows that grind all the way up the spine, The Svord is 1/8 of an in. and that follows all the way down the spine.

Again, I apologize to you and hope the figures are helpful.

Rooster
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:26:24 PM by Rooster » Logged

Rooster

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 02:04:14 PM »

I have measured from the cutting edge up onto the primary grinds of all 3 blades, realizing that is probably the info. you want and it is as follows:
 Both of the machetes measure 1/8 of an in, 3/8 of an in. off of the cutting edge. The Siegle measures 5/16 of an in. The difference is that on both the Collins and the Siegle, the measurement is being taken well up on the flat of the primary grind, where as the Svord is convexed well up to 1/2 of an in. off the edge, thus shining a light on it's ability to penetrate.
 Thank's for asking SM, the measurements give me a little information to file away.

Rooster
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 04:14:46 PM by Rooster » Logged

scottman

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 05:24:36 PM »

My 30 dollar schrade "tomahawk" 4 sits in the garage near a 4" belt sander. Every time I pass it I take a little off thinning the profile behind the edge. 3/8 inward from the edge it started at .170 thick. Now its around .120. Progress I'll probably get it around .100 thick and call it good  chop a 2x4 and be amazed it's added penetration for chopping with less wedging effect.

knives are like that too some blades are too thick for my liking.

Svord bowie being one of them.
deerstalker

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 05:42:24 PM »

knives are like that too some blades are too thick for my liking.

The Svord Bowie is more a cleaver than a knife IMO Wink Smiley
scottman

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »

a big waste of money
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting