August 21, 2017, 04:32:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Get to Know Your Neighbors -- New Post  (Read 1233 times)
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« on: July 10, 2016, 04:54:29 PM »

Just posted a new article, some survival considerations, and the value of getting to know your neighbors.
Christopher
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:06:21 PM »

good common sense article  and only too true

Dude

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot...
I'm not in  here with you , you are in here with me!...
 Of course I'm out of my mind , it's dark and scary in there...
Be a DirtBag and Fill it by Owning the Skills...
http://dirttimedude.blogspot.com visit my blog
"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
vector001

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 06:44:03 PM »

always a good idea.

many of mine are unprepared.

the ones who are prepared, are pretty impressive.

i am not the least bit afraid to say it - the left leaning ones are the ones to worry about - they get really ugly under pressure in my experience.

vec
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 06:53:39 PM by vector001 » Logged

"Evaluation is more important than calculation" - Garry Kasparov

Your source for the famous Arrowcards and other innovative goodies.

Contact -
michaelg@equinoxcoronado.com

Need ARROWCARDS FAST?
arrowcards@equinoxcoronado.com
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 08:14:06 PM »

foud very few leftys out here...

Dude

"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
deerstalker

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 11:00:51 PM »

A very relevant article Christopher

http://dirttime.com/get-to-know-your-neighbors

"An associate of mine who told me he hates his neighbors, said that his ace in the hole in the event of a major disaster is his uncle in Minnesota who has a self-sufficient farm and home, and produces his own power.

“Really?” I mocked.

And how do you expect to get to Minnesota?” (My friend lives in urban California)."

The other issue is that if he can't get along with his neighbours he may not get along with his uncle long term either. Undecided

And if he isn't a participant /contributor to the farm now he might not be welcome for long in the future. Wink

Friends and relatives with farms are a wonderful thing, but you need to work hard to maintain your relationships in my experience, consistently contributing time, hard labour, professional expertise, and money over decades - ideally making it a multi generational relationship - not unlike marriage, commitment is the key - always giving more than you take IMO.

oldgeekster1

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 02:41:55 AM »

Excellent article as always Christopher, then again, you have been providing similar advice for many years now.

"Like it or not, we’re all in this same boat. In an emergency, your neighbors are your family. Get to know them, now, not later. Get back to our roots of neighbors helping neighbors, and learn to share and support among yourselves. That is our tradition, and that is what made this country great."

Mission complete - starting a very long time ago.  

"If you want to go fast, go alone - if you want to go far, go together." --African Proverb

<snip>

i am not the least bit afraid to say it - the left leaning ones are the ones to worry about - they get really ugly under pressure in my experience.

vec

Seems as though they are easily stirred up by professional (paid) instigators, wingers, fundos, and fanatics these days eh?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:55:44 AM by oldgeekster1 » Logged
deerstalker

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 02:59:47 AM »

"If you want to go fast, go alone - if you want to go far, go together." --African Proverb

vector001

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 09:49:16 AM »

<snip>

vec

Seems as though they are easily stirred up by professional (paid) instigators, wingers, fundos, and fanatics these days eh?

everything stirs them up.

their only saving graces are that they are predominantly weaklings, physically, spiritually, and morally, and have not risen to the level of mortal threat to those they severely underestimate in the factors that they themselves commonly and thoroughly suffer at a loss from.

in other words, they are allowed to live, even though they wouldn't return the favor to those they hate, once they had the means to exterminate their way to utopia.

vec

Contact -

Need ARROWCARDS FAST?
Quill

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 10:20:35 AM »

Headed a different way on your article. Most suffer from "acts of god" a lame excuse if there ever was one. In many of those cases things could have been done to minimize loss and yet few take the needed steps. Few people in hurricane country build to withstand one without legal requirements to make them. Same in tornado country. They will allow a unhealthy huge tree next to their house hoping if it falls, it will go away from everything.

What's over the next hill?
deerstalker

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 05:02:20 PM »

In many of those cases things could have been done to minimize loss and yet few take the needed steps.

All true, when the storm or fire or flood is raging it's too late to think about what we should have done .

I guess Christopher's point is that it works best when an entire neighbourhood prepares.

For example if your neighbour's roof blows off it might hit you or yours or if your neighbours kids are feral your family may suffer.

Even worse in the case of fire - or pests such as wild dogs / wolves - or noxious weeds - or infectious diseases - National Parks are often lousy neighbours.

The whole reason that humanity in general has prospered is our ability to function cooperatively.

"No man is an island.........."

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:46:13 PM by deerstalker » Logged
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 07:26:47 PM »

most think they are an island... many times out here beyond a wave its keep moving along ... buddy... >>>>>few want any company and few want to meet anyone ...

in a way i see where they are coming from..dont mess with my routine .  i got shit to do... plus its a trust issue... i for one do not trust most peeps not for a very long time... hell there are things i do not tell my son in laws etc about... they could be gone like the wind in a heart beat... no honor with lots of peeps ...

Dude

deerstalker

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 08:31:03 PM »

hell there are things i do not tell my son in laws etc about...

Dude

Some of the strongest rivalry / competition is within families rather than external - I know lots of people who don't speak to their siblings other than through lawyers. Undecided

It's interesting dealing with the strangers your kids bring home as prospective family members, then if they stick it gets more complex dealing with their extended family and any associated baggage - but you can't get grandkids without taking the risk....... well technically you probably can in the modern world...... but it's not something you have any real control over anyway Wink Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:02:35 PM by deerstalker » Logged
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 10:08:26 PM »

Lots of good points on an essential topic...

I remember something I read that always stuck with me.... If EVERYONE (including nations) practiced self-reliance and truly lived it, there wo uld NEVER be war.   Well, I could see some reasons, but this is a very good point.  Blamers and complainers and the "leftys" (as Vec said) seem to complain the loudest when their needs are not being met.... They are often in their predicament because they lived their lives expecting someone else to cater to their needs and wants, and that is not what we'd call a sustainable lifestyle (though some have managed to maintain that modus for a very long time)
vector001

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 10:11:34 PM »

Blamers and complainers and the "leftys" (as Vec said) seem to complain the loudest when their needs are not being met.... They are often in their predicament because they lived their lives expecting someone else to cater to their needs and wants, and that is not what we'd call a sustainable lifestyle (though some have managed to maintain that modus for a very long time)

that's okay, when TSHTF, we will call them the Eloi....

vec

Contact -

Need ARROWCARDS FAST?
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 11:45:29 PM »

ah yes the good old Eloi .. good enuff... 

Dude

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting