August 21, 2017, 04:39:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Survival Value of Coins  (Read 3011 times)
deerstalker

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 09:45:48 PM »

Dude is smart to always have extra cash on hand -- it doesn't have to be the "end of the world" for the power to go down and your plastic is worthless...

Credit accounts & cheques used to cover that area too, but seem to be falling out of fashion. Undecided
deerstalker

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 09:53:48 PM »

Our cash has been plastic for a long while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_Australian_dollar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_banknote

The British are now going down the same path I hear...........

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jun/02/winston-churchill-fiver-five-pound-note-ends-paper-money-trail

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:56:47 PM by deerstalker » Logged
deerstalker

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 10:57:21 PM »

Here's a couple of interesting sites.........

http://www.wheresgeorge.com/

http://www.moneytracker.com.au/

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:59:27 PM by deerstalker » Logged
Drivebytrucker

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 11:43:25 PM »

Cash is still popular in Germany.
deerstalker

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 12:23:58 AM »

Cash is still popular in Germany.

Many of the older Germans I know remember the aftermath of the wars I & II......... if not personally, from their parents accounts.

Some families rebuilt using precious metals & diamonds sown into clothing etc.

But I bet USDs were in high demand.

I think it's also popular with the US military when providing compensation overseas (maybe even the CIA?).

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:05:18 AM by deerstalker » Logged
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 01:38:55 AM »

all governments love credit cards they can track every purchase , they are preparing the masses for a global economy.. cash the governments hate .. cant really track it well and you can buy any number of things legal or in the underground economy which is huge , billions of bucks here in the U.SA.. the government and banks discourge cash and promotes plastic..  not only can they track it they build a profile of the person .. not good for us...     cash is king of the average joe..

Dude

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot...
I'm not in  here with you , you are in here with me!...
 Of course I'm out of my mind , it's dark and scary in there...
Be a DirtBag and Fill it by Owning the Skills...
http://dirttimedude.blogspot.com visit my blog
"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
vector001

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 01:54:33 AM »

I think it's also popular with the US military when providing compensation overseas (maybe even the CIA?).

i can confirm that.

vec

"Evaluation is more important than calculation" - Garry Kasparov

Your source for the famous Arrowcards and other innovative goodies.

Contact -
michaelg@equinoxcoronado.com

Need ARROWCARDS FAST?
arrowcards@equinoxcoronado.com
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 02:29:20 AM »

lots of good points.  Money (in whatever form) is an integral aspect of survival.

If we had a major stock crash, or other disaster that disabled parts of society, paper would be next to worthless, and plastic totally worthless, and a black market underground economy would materialize rapidly as people began to look again at what was valuable, and what was not.

Knives, always valuable.
Vec hawks, always valuable.

Socks, tshirts, always valuable (but how many can you store)
shoestrings, sewing kits, things of daily use

If you can grow food, your food is money.

magnesium fire starters, ferro rods, always valuable.

In September American Survival guide, we'll have a few articles on this, including at least one by Dude
deerstalker

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 02:43:41 AM »

all governments love credit cards they can track every purchase ,

Dude

That's true, although I think that marketers are more interested than governments. Huh?

When combined with the internet & mobile phones they hardly have to leave their desks to conduct surveillance now.

Add to that DNA data bases, finger printing, optical (including number plate) recognition etc.

I suspect they would like to avoid the cost of manufacturing, storing and safekeeping cash as well.

Although these days we export our manufacturing expertise internationally, so it probably makes a net profit.

Many countries have laws on the reporting of cash transactions and restrictions on the transporting of large sums, particularly internationally.

A lot of crime becomes unsustainable without cash.

I guess we should enjoy the freedom it offers while we can

deerstalker

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 04:36:24 AM »

Money (in whatever form) is an integral aspect of survival.

True..........

At the core money is a way of interacting with other people who are inescapable & by far most difficult aspect of survival IMO.

It's easy enough to dodge bears, lions, crocs & sharks but society will come looking for you if you don't conform.

Everyone needs to exchange currency for products &/or services unless they are totally self sufficient (& asexual) or stealing.

Combat-Trout

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 11:52:18 AM »

Skills that let you creat what other cannot, that will always be valuable. Something as simple as growing food, brewing beer, distilling alcohol, knowing how to use natural medicine, etc.. Cash, barter, whatever it's called will always exist, and let's be honest it thrived under the Soviet model... A good "fixer" was worth their weight in gold...

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 09:48:39 PM »

Right, someone who can fix things up will always be valuable. 
I heard somewhere that the black market in Soviet union was at least as big as the legal market!
deerstalker

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 09:55:51 PM »

Right, someone who can fix things up will always be valuable. 

I heard somewhere that the black market in Soviet union was at least as big as the legal market!

Probably all running on USD I bet  Cool

deerstalker

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 09:58:54 PM »

Cash, barter, whatever it's called will always exist, .......... A good "fixer" was is worth their weight in gold...

Absolutely, that's universal, ask Vec  Wink
Combat-Trout

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2016, 08:49:15 PM »

Cash, barter, whatever it's called will always exist, .......... A good "fixer" was is worth their weight in gold...

Absolutely, that's universal, ask Vec  Wink

True enough... Big resurgence in Europe.

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting