December 11, 2017, 09:05:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Survival Value of Coins  (Read 3750 times)
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« on: June 01, 2016, 08:26:32 PM »

Just posted an article on survival value of coins. Hope you enjoy it!
deerstalker

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 09:54:50 PM »

You can bury them too & use them in vending machines etc.....

Most people seem to consider them a nuisance now, so I think you are right - the available volume will likely go down Undecided

http://dirttime.com/survival-value-of-coins

vector001

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 12:30:40 AM »

i believe currently minted nickels might still be worth the metal they are made of.

and they make a damn fine tune-up for your M-60....

vec

Some people bring a knife to a gunfight and win.

Some people bring swim fins to the knife fight, watch the other idiots kill each other, then take their stuff and swim happily out of zombie range.
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 02:28:13 AM »

for many years i would go to yhe bank and "buy" rolls of 50 cent kind .. also many banks still will have dollar coins , like Christopher i have found complete rolls of silver halves and dollar coins.. you just have to take the time to go through them.. I wrote an article called kitchen coin shooting talking about this very subject..

but just the normal coins might prove to be better than paper money..

I was in Nashville Tenn, several years ago when the computers went down and no one could use a credit card , they asked if anyone had cash to step up in front, i had cassh and was out of the place in a flash.. another time i was in France and i dont recall the reason but no credit cards were working.. i had cash and soon i was a very popular guy.. lol..

checks i have not written a check in years in fact i dont even have any.  mostly iam a cash guy anyway.

Christophers article is very timely..

Dude

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot...
I'm not in  here with you , you are in here with me!...
 Of course I'm out of my mind , it's dark and scary in there...
Be a DirtBag and Fill it by Owning the Skills...
http://dirttimedude.blogspot.com visit my blog
"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
Snowbound

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 10:09:09 AM »

I know people who regularly buy boxes of quarters looking for silver. Pretty much a risk-less process. they can always re-roll the coins and sell them back....

Jim

Pirate Viceroy, Dirtbag 2nd Class

Because, when it comes to zombies...well, "deader is better"

We are the Pirates your mother warned you about

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 11:32:04 AM »

When I would regularly buy half-dollar rolls, yes, I found  40% silver periodically, rarely the 90% ones... but I would occasionally also find foreign coins stuck in there probably on purpose. I always liked them and kept them. Typically they were those large old British coins, but others too.

I remember that I showed Eisenhower dollars on the Doomsday Prepper show and some people laughed at me (online). Though they are "only" worth about 1.10 to a dealer, other people LOVE to get them and since they are so uncommon, I buy them whenever the bank has them, and just keep or use as needed.

Dude is smart to always have extra cash on hand -- it doesn't have to be the "end of the world" for the power to go down and your plastic is worthless...
vector001

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 12:49:24 PM »

cash is definitely king.

i do a lot of cash business. i don't hide anything from the tax man that belongs to him  Cool but sometimes i forget i made the money and it winds up in a mayonnaise jar, kicked under the couch, etc.

teeth are a big deal in my household, ...and eyes - amazing the deals you can make with eye docs and dentists, since they get pooped on by Obamacare, insurance programs, etc.

i once paid cash for a big dental bill, and in return my dentist said i'd have to work off the rest of the bill and had me watch his mansion and make sure his BMWs were running okay for a month - 'not sure who got paid on that deal....

any buddy who doesn't think 80 cents cash isn't worth at least a dollar in credit is batty IMHO.

vec

Some people bring a knife to a gunfight and win.

Some people bring swim fins to the knife fight, watch the other idiots kill each other, then take their stuff and swim happily out of zombie range.
Quill

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 01:15:25 PM »

A lot of foreign coins from Europe might have a fair amount of silver. I have some earlier 20th British, German, Austrian coins. I think I have some Norwegian. When I was a kid family and friends of family gave me their change when they came home from trips or deployments. It wasn't an expensive souvenir to give a kid and everyone new I liked them. I really should trade the older valuable ones for newer plain silver ones. Antique values can prove to be worthless. There were some really unscrupulous coin collectors in the old days that tried to get my older coins at face value. I have an 1880 silver dollar that they use to bug me to exchange for a paper dollar. It came from my BIL's grandfather who collected shoe boxes of silver dollars. Wasn't 100 years old when I got it and in excellent condition but the old guy died not long after he gave it to me so I hung onto it as a memento.

What's over the next hill?
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 04:59:10 PM »

if you are careful unwrapping the coins you can pour them out and then refill the wrapper without going through the process of rerolling them..

the larger coins are easy to unwrap , i leave one in the bottom as i can tell what it is without having it in my hand.. so that one coin holds the "roll" in place

if you think you have a collector coin .. do not clean  it can devalue the coin down to almost zip..

Dude

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot...
I'm not in  here with you , you are in here with me!...
 Of course I'm out of my mind , it's dark and scary in there...
Be a DirtBag and Fill it by Owning the Skills...
http://dirttimedude.blogspot.com visit my blog
"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
deerstalker

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 07:33:34 PM »

The Swedes are edging towards cashless...........

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/27/business/international/in-sweden-a-cash-free-future-nears.html?_r=0
Bill S

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 08:08:31 PM »

If you have enough, people will almost always take coins because they feel like money.  Also, modern printers can make really good counterfits, a couple of places I went, coinage was vastly preferred to paper money.
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 08:18:08 PM »

Some years back, there were all these counterfeit silver dollars (made in China) circulating around skid row, and beyond, in LA area. it even made the papers. A man tried to sell me some in Glendale (on the street) and he said they were silver dollars. I said, no they aren't, and he said, yes they are. He wanted $5 a coin. I said, silver is $11 an ounce now, so you are either a liar or stupid, one or the other. He didnt flinch, said they were real. I purchased two for $3 each as anovelty. They looked good, but anyone who has ever handled a silver dollar would know the difference in weight. Apparently, for awhile, this was the money of choice around skid row L.A.
deerstalker

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 08:52:09 PM »

cash is definitely king.

vec

That's true............

Has been all my lifetime.

But on the other hand how much longer will they keep manufacturing it?

Technology is becoming more robust / reliable & intrusive unfortunately.

Everything seems to be becoming smart phone centric.......

Coin collecting & looking for old coins with high intrinsic value is a good idea, but paying any significant amount with coins would draw a lot of attention 'round here - our largest denomination is $2 - no one I know would accept more than $50 or so.

Cash is always good, but also draws attention in large quantities.

People with cash businesses have to watch staff very closely plus beware of tax audits and home invaders.

Drug dealers are often caught when they buy cash counting machines. Undecided

But it is obviously a good idea to have some cash on hand - say a float, with various denominations - it can be more useful than an SAK or Bic in the right circumstances.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:40:08 PM by deerstalker » Logged
Quill

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 09:11:17 PM »

They can keep any place that doesn't have or accept cash. The more I hear of Sweden, the more I know why my grandfather's family left. There was a local motel that called the police because someone wanted to pay cash. She had never seen it done and thought it was illegal. When I meet those kind I show them a US bill and have them read the upper left hand side of the front where it says legal tender for all depth and tell them it's illegal to not accept it. That shakes them up that is after you define the term tender. Roll Eyes They don't know what to make of it.

What's over the next hill?
deerstalker

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 09:25:41 PM »

They can keep any place that doesn't have or accept cash.

The more I hear of Sweden, the more I know why my grandfather's family left.

They'll probably end up with a black economy that runs on USDs Wink
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:39:03 PM by deerstalker » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting