June 26, 2017, 01:57:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: "Survivalist," "Bushcraft," "Prepper," etc. -- what the hell are we?  (Read 2005 times)
Combat-Trout

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 09:27:38 PM »

Ah, the labels... Divide and conquer doesn't work without them.

I struggle to define what I am, because the title would be to long. Student, teacher, engineer, leader, carpenter, hunter-gatherer, fisherman, father, son, husband, author, artist... Hell, if I ever narrowed down to one thing I'd be freaking awesome instead of just great. 

This reminds me of all the badges and titles that other bushcrafty places have to create so people feel important, well, and to make money from selling people merit badges.

And speaking of merit badges, I just ran off yet another Eagle Scout whose project was to collect stuff from his neighbors and donate it. I'm really losing respect for that org, how is a few hours of community organizer teaching them anything?

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
Allen Jensen

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 10:19:02 PM »

I don't label who I am or what I am based on someone else's criteria. I prefer to learn skills from many different ages and disciplines. Those skills help me feel more confident in any situation be it disaster or classic camping. If I was born 100 years ago I guess you would call me a Renascence Man. Nowdays I just prefer the term 'complicated'.  Cool

"It is only when you stop beliving wild animals think and act like humans that you can really hear what nature is trying to say. She is violent and without conscience; but more beautiful than anything humans can create in this life." AJ

“Men of intemperate minds can never be free.   Their passions forge their fetters.” -Edmund Burke
deerstalker

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 11:59:14 PM »

I struggle to define what I am, because the title would be to long.

Acronyms are the answer (ask anyone in the military) 
deerstalker

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 02:18:06 AM »

............ "fixin' to get by whatever comes next".  Wink  

That's resilience  

"......resilience is defined as an individual's ability to properly adapt to stress and adversity."

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:27:31 AM by deerstalker » Logged
deerstalker

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 02:25:08 AM »

Which reminds me........  Cool

Ambitious

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=622

Persistence

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=417

Tenacious

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=294

Resilience

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=597

All good words Wink

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:52:15 AM by deerstalker » Logged
Combat-Trout

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 04:47:27 AM »

I struggle to define what I am, because the title would be to long.

Acronyms are the answer (ask anyone in the military) 

Even that's difficult, anything more than a TLA doesn't command presence, just ask anyone from a FLA or an FLA...

I'm reminded of a cow-orker of mine who once wanted to create a status of "Approved For Use", after I regained my composure I sent out an apology to the community with a correction to the new status type and reassured everyone that we would never deliver anything that was AFU... You just can't trust committees... And beware of anyone who has "quality" in their title... It's like a snake with bright colors...

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
deerstalker

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 05:49:31 AM »

... It's like a snake with bright colors...

small scorpions, sluggish fish & small brightly coloured frogs too Cheesy

You just can't trust committees... And beware of anyone who has "quality" in their title...

deerstalker

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 05:57:14 AM »

........ I just prefer the term 'complicated'.  Cool

There's a lot of complexity here 
Quill

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »

Although I can appreciate the need for welfare and food stamps, it creates a laziness in society. No one wants to work hard for very little when they can get it for free. A great example is the native trappers in Alaska. They quit trapping because they could get assistance without the dangerous hard work. Turns them lazy and with no structure they look for trouble. Not a new phenomenon. That's why they keep soldiers busy.

What's over the next hill?
Combat-Trout

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 11:48:32 AM »

Although I can appreciate the need for welfare and food stamps, it creates a laziness in society. No one wants to work hard for very little when they can get it for free. A great example is the native trappers in Alaska. They quit trapping because they could get assistance without the dangerous hard work. Turns them lazy and with no structure they look for trouble. Not a new phenomenon. That's why they keep soldiers busy.

There is a place for compassion and assistance in this world, but they way welfare is being handled now is criminal and borders on slavery. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he'll get a show on discovery...

Curmudgeon

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 02:27:43 PM »

Was "homesteader" in there anywhere or did I just miss it? 

I like the one: Just Living Life the Best Way I Know How!  (JLLBWIH)

Or like most people refer to me as: Too Lazy To Get A Real Job!  (TLTGARJ)   Wink

"It's easier to get things done with a kind word and a gun, than a kind word alone." - Al Capone
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Quill

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 04:07:32 PM »

Most call me dinosaur. I try to them I am not old enough for that but they don't listen even when I point to someone like Dude. They mumble something about my mentality. Roll Eyes

What's over the next hill?
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2016, 09:44:21 PM »

I just remembered, a reporter once called me an "urban homesteader," which sounded great, but wasn't really accurate. I mean, I had a mortgage to pay, and so I'm not so sure "homesteader" was the right word. 

As for fancy titles and badges and diplomas, I know lots of guys who brag about them. I have way too many such pieces of paper and I my self-worth is not about the thickness of my paper file. Most I do not save, as they are mere vanities.

Anyone remember Bo Gritz, a decorated Green Beret, as I recall, who ran for president. I had breakfast at his table in San Diego area during one of the early 90s survival seminars when they were getting back in vogue. Bo had something he called SPIKE training, specially prepared individuals for key events.  Essentially, you paid him a big sum of money (so he could pay for his daughter's college education), and then you watched 10 or so videos, took a written test, and then you got your green SPIKE arm band and /or green hat. I know a guy who watched some of the videos, and laughed at them. He also took my classes, and was a martial artist and shooter. He told me that he got more out of one day with me then he did with the SPIKE training. He pointed out that many of the folks pridefully walking around with their green hats at the survival fair were way overweight, and had even passed a written test in martial arts by watching a video!! 

I have nothing against a guy making a buck, and I know I could learn some lessons from some of these more aggressive entrepreneurs, but I want my students to have actually accomplished something. The paper on the wall means nothing if you can't back it up.
Allen Jensen

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 02:11:34 AM »

Well some of us who were in Bo's SPIKE training when it first started learned from live instructors and worked hard to get a little piece of paper. But your right, it was not worth the high cost. The best part was finding other crazy people from the local area! 

"It is only when you stop beliving wild animals think and act like humans that you can really hear what nature is trying to say. She is violent and without conscience; but more beautiful than anything humans can create in this life." AJ

“Men of intemperate minds can never be free.   Their passions forge their fetters.” -Edmund Burke
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 02:18:04 AM »

Sorry Allen, I did not intend to offend anyone... I did not realize that anyone actually did work for those SPIKE badges.... which improves my view of Bo just a little. I guess in the beginning, guys have high ideals, and then when they realize how much work it takes to actually bring a civilian into something akin to "readiness," well, they (Bo, et al) figure it's easier to have guys watch videos.  I'm glad you did the real work
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting