October 22, 2017, 08:28:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: "Survivalist," "Bushcraft," "Prepper," etc. -- what the hell are we?  (Read 2475 times)
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« on: March 07, 2016, 09:39:04 PM »

New post. I'd love to hear your comments.
MountainManIndy

My Road to Somewhere Else

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:34:06 PM »

Howdy,
Personally I'd describe me as being careful, observant, interested in learning and applying useful knowledge, helpful (at least to those I care about), independent minded (at least until corrected by my wife - it happens) and not interested in a label per se...All that being said - if I were to put a label on me, I kinda like Charlie Richie's approach - perhaps - 'Backwoodsman'. [OK so I'm reading a couple of my latest issues of his magazine of the same name and quite frankly - it pretty much sums up most all of the folks that I've met, talked to, taught stuff to, and in general associate with, on or off trail - even those here in the Dirt Time's Forum or at one of the DT events].

Yeah, we use a myriad of skill sets that have those other labels you mentioned attached...but really, IMHO being independently minded Backwoodsmen (and women of course  ) sums us up pretty well.

{remember you asked:  }

All the VERY BEST!
~Indy

"All that is necessary for the Truimph of Evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

If you read and speak English - thank a teacher. If you write and speak your mind - thank those who serve in the military.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If you want to be immortal - either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing about" - Ben Franklin ['or don't die' - Woody Allen]
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 10:38:14 PM »

It's a good term~!  I have used it sometimes too, but I do live in a city... A woman who grew up in appalachia used to take my classes (she has since gone back to kentucky) and she would describe me as "living country in the city," but that's a bit long....

MountainManIndy

My Road to Somewhere Else

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 10:49:56 PM »

It's a good term~!  I have used it sometimes too, but I do live in a city... A woman who grew up in appalachia used to take my classes (she has since gone back to kentucky) and she would describe me as "living country in the city," but that's a bit long....

To me the cool thing about the term...it makes no difference where you live...it's a state of mind and a call to action of what you want to be (learn, use, apply, help, teach, and be better as both a person and someone not to be taken lightly) - but that's me being me - as usual...

Good question - should be interesting to read the responses...

All the VERY BEST!
~Indy

"All that is necessary for the Truimph of Evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

If you read and speak English - thank a teacher. If you write and speak your mind - thank those who serve in the military.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If you want to be immortal - either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing about" - Ben Franklin ['or don't die' - Woody Allen]
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 11:09:34 PM »

seems some ones been thinking a bit...i wrote an article called "whats in a name , dude" and made several suggestions as to what we might be called...i thunk it is here on the forum articles , if not it is on my blog... yep it is on here , just bumped it to the top so there ya go...

nothing as vec said uz it is just life skills and they shouild be second nature or nothing much to talk about ...

Dude

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:17:44 PM by Dude McLean » Logged

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot...
I'm not in  here with you , you are in here with me!...
 Of course I'm out of my mind , it's dark and scary in there...
Be a DirtBag and Fill it by Owning the Skills...
http://dirttimedude.blogspot.com visit my blog
"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
vector001

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 11:13:40 PM »

we are nothing.

and that is something.

vec

"Evaluation is more important than calculation" - Garry Kasparov

Your source for the famous Arrowcards and other innovative goodies.

Contact -
michaelg@equinoxcoronado.com

Need ARROWCARDS FAST?
arrowcards@equinoxcoronado.com
deerstalker

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 11:46:08 PM »

"Survivalist,"

"Bushcraft,"

"Prepper," etc. --

what the hell are we?

...I'd love to hear your comments.

On one hand, we have enough in common to keep turning up here and on other forums to learn, inform & debate.

On the other hand, none of those labels in isolation could be used to describe every individual that visits.

I think of myself as curious, about the mix of topics that surface here and the views of people from a culture similar but different to my own.

I guess this comes down to hats...........

Personally, I've got a wardrobe full of hats & I swap from one to the other throughout the day depending on the task at hand, the audience & the context.  Huh? Cool

Survival is a hard word to ignore though............ if you & your prodigy don't survive not much else matters.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 12:07:47 AM by deerstalker » Logged
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 01:42:17 AM »

You're right... "survival" is the key, the glue that binds it all together. 

Still, when "survivalist" took on a bad connotation by the 80s, I started using "self-reliance" which was still an accurate term for what I did....

So much is connotation...
Quill

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 08:23:19 AM »

I grew up poor with parents and grandparents that lived through the Depression. Just a normal way of life. Canning was used to stock pile food. You set a bit of your extra aside for harder times. They always come up. Maybe it's just folks staying for supper in a lean week. When I was in high school young back to earthers came to me with questions on raising ducks, geese and rabbits. It was regular life. People need to understand this is not new. In the 1840s people were fed up with city life and the cost so the moved to the country. Edmund Morris' book Ten Acres Enough/How a very small farm may made to keep a very large family.
You could always call it living history. You practice it to see how compares to modern life and how it works in modern  society. Don't fall to the questions about guns or end world scenarios in front of reporters or others not involved.

What's over the next hill?
Bill S

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 09:34:05 AM »

I have to admit that I like the term "self reliant" best. 

Of course, it isn't easy to shorten to pigeon hole someone if you want to make fun of them or discredit their ideas.

Maybe you go to "Skilled Seeking Self Reliant" so the press could call us "SSSR" or "Sir" for short.
oldgeekster1

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »

You're right... "survival" is the key, the glue that binds it all together. 

Still, when "survivalist" took on a bad connotation by the 80s, I started using "self-reliance" which was still an accurate term for what I did....

So much is connotation...

Its a lot easier to say "self-reliance" than "fixin' to get by whatever comes next".  Wink 

Quill

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »

Like the golden age of camping, this is the golden age of the country boy.

What's over the next hill?
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 04:35:02 PM »

my dad was born in 1907 and my mom in 1915 so they were in the middle of the depression and i was born towards the end of it... my dad raised goats , ducks and squab plus a few other things , my dad made money by boxing in prize fights and working in construction when it was available , the start of ww2 was the the beginning of the end of the depression , war made for a lot of jobs and peeple flocked to the west coast to work..my dad said if youi did not have more than one way to make a buck you were pretty much screwed. the self reliance was the key...hard was not a word that was used it was just part of what you did...

Dude

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot...
I'm not in  here with you , you are in here with me!...
 Of course I'm out of my mind , it's dark and scary in there...
Be a DirtBag and Fill it by Owning the Skills...
http://dirttimedude.blogspot.com visit my blog
"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
deerstalker

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 06:22:15 PM »

I have to admit that I like the term "self reliant" best. 

Maybe Self Reliant Survivor (SRS)   Huh? Roll Eyes  Cheesy

So long as it doesn't become SOS I guess  Wink Cool
deerstalker

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 06:32:23 PM »

I grew up poor with parents and grandparents that lived through the Depression.

You set a bit of your extra aside for harder times.

It was regular life.

People need to understand this is not new.

My grandparents had chooks & goats + fruit & vege in their suburban backyard.

What is new,  is living & working in air-conditioned multi storey buildings.

..my dad said if youi did not have more than one way to make a buck you were pretty much screwed.

the self reliance was the key...hard was not a word that was used it was just part of what you did...

Dude

Still true now IMO

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting