August 19, 2017, 11:40:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Earthquake Toilet Test  (Read 1047 times)
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« on: February 25, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »

Just posted an article about an Earthquake Toilet test I conducted back in the 1970s, and the article is an excerpt from my "Squatter in Los Angeles" book.  I'd love to hear your comments.
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 03:00:19 PM »

going potty is a taboo thing to talk about it seems  , it is a natural function ... most of the water  we use in homes goes down the drain for flushing a toilet... that is a real waste..

setting up a place in your yard and taking care of it in the proper manner is something everyone should do or at least be aware of.. Lime will also work but ina long term station we would run out of almost any product ...

good article ...

Dude   

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot...
I'm not in  here with you , you are in here with me!...
 Of course I'm out of my mind , it's dark and scary in there...
Be a DirtBag and Fill it by Owning the Skills...
http://dirttimedude.blogspot.com visit my blog
"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
Dodys

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 09:30:29 PM »

Without having read the article(I can't seem to find it here) If The Quake is Big enough,The Majority of people will not be shitting in their toilets,& so the title should probably read something like: Earthquake Laundry Test  Shocked Doing the laundry eats a Whole Lot more water than the toilet does.I would really like to read that article,If you could direct me to it on this site.
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 09:37:07 PM »

Dodys just go to the top of the page and click on visit our website

Dude

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot...
I'm not in  here with you , you are in here with me!...
 Of course I'm out of my mind , it's dark and scary in there...
Be a DirtBag and Fill it by Owning the Skills...
http://dirttimedude.blogspot.com visit my blog
"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
deerstalker

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 05:00:29 AM »

Found it 

http://dirttime.com/earthquake-toilet-test
Bill S

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 10:45:51 AM »

My soil is already pretty acid.  I thought that adding wood ash increases that.  Can you use something like mussel shells that have been burned and then ground up to add some lime and aid in composting?
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 01:35:18 PM »

Bill, there are many aspects that go into a balanced soil. I wasn't really trying to tell you how to balance your soil -- just sharing a simple experiment. However, since you ask, there are many good books on the subject, catered to gardeners and farmers. I highly recommend the Acres USA Primer, published by the Acres USA magazine.
vector001

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 03:23:07 PM »

i do this with dog poop and twigs from my jacaranda tree. - i make ditches in front of my 110 gallon fish and turtle "ponds" - each one has a spigot attached to it at the bottom.

i toss the dog poop in the ditch, toss in a shed of jacaranda twigs and leaves (when not using them for something else right away - jacaranda leaves are essentially mulch falling from the trees, great stuff), so it is effectively like a lawn for the dog. when the ponds need a change of water (this will happen less and less as i build my aquaponics to recycle the water through various trees and plants) i just turn the spigot and all the aerated water and beneficial bacteria dump in to the ditch. this helps things break down fast and the water gets reused many times - even the ground is designed to hold the water, so when folks are begging for it, my ground will be moist.

i don't put worms in the poop mix, not yet anyways. when i get mt black solider flies started, i will feed them the dog poop and restaurant scraps. i plan to ultimately use humanure, if not here than on other properties, but with some safety conditions, as well as some measures that are for efficiency and quality control. - those measures include but are not limited to boiling the fecal matter, then injecting it with beneficial bacteria and aerating the sludge that results - it breaks down really fast that way, as the aerobic bacteria really nail it, plus the odor is reduced greatly because their presence in the aerated system and the poop is made a magnitude safer to be careless with..

wind and solar should hold up if we have a pretty good calamity, so aeration and any electricity that is needed should be a real yawner to deal with....

good shit, mang.

vec

"Evaluation is more important than calculation" - Garry Kasparov

Your source for the famous Arrowcards and other innovative goodies.

Contact -
michaelg@equinoxcoronado.com

Need ARROWCARDS FAST?
arrowcards@equinoxcoronado.com
Quill

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 06:42:08 PM »

People need to learn to make compost correctly for this to work. There are a lot of people who think they know and others that spend to much money on it.  If your current compost smells you are not doing it right and it sure won't work for excrement. One other thing people should be careful to take into account. The medications they take will pass through them. You may not want to garden with that but it can fertilize a forest later. Personally I never let the bucket fill. If you can empty it right away it keeps odor and disease down, not to mention flies. This is an old video but a good one for people that need to see a process instead of just reading it.

https://youtu.be/HT1t3OjVcew

What's over the next hill?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting