June 26, 2017, 01:53:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Lighter failure...  (Read 1791 times)
deerstalker

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »

Slip them inside a bicycle inner tube piece, fold the generous ends over the lighter and wrap a rubberband around them.

Always good advice
vector001

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 08:09:06 PM »

dig a hole.

vec

"Evaluation is more important than calculation" - Garry Kasparov

Your source for the famous Arrowcards and other innovative goodies.

Contact -
michaelg@equinoxcoronado.com

Need ARROWCARDS FAST?
arrowcards@equinoxcoronado.com
deerstalker

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 08:15:02 PM »

dig a hole.

Is that another WALL-E reference Cheesy

Good advice in many situations including this
Egregious Ed

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 05:30:37 PM »

They can quit due to wet, due to corrosion of the flint, slow leakage and they generally don't work above a certain altitude easily attained on summer backpacking trips. Other than that they are very convenient and great for sealing frayed nylon. I carry them but absolutely do not rely on them. There was a miracle tinder product that came in little foil sealed packets that proved to have a remarkably short shelf life. If you buy something on faith, put it away, and then really need it to work seven years later you may be very disappointed. Regular use, servicing, and practice are likely to have a happier ending-isn't that why we have dirttime. A whole spectrum of goods are available to us but the highest speed lowest drag item may actually not be suitable. The litmus of use beats advertising claims, famous user endorsements and glossy staged photos in dramatic outdoor settings every time. Jeez, I'm beginning to sound like Dude-I've been corrupted by older and more experienced friends.
Bill S

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2017, 06:08:38 PM »

Yep, older and more corrupted, I meant experienced, usually doesn't take much on faith, especially if your butt depends on it working, every time.
Rooster

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2017, 11:20:57 PM »

I once had the wheel, flint and spring go sailing into oblivion on a butane lighter.  Pretty much useless after that.  But then I always carry two of them and in my "kit" I have matches in a waterproof container and a Mag. bar.

I've had the exact same thing happen, the spring and the wheel you might find but the flint, you'll be lucky to find it.

Rooster

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Yo soy un Indio Americano

Vaya con dios mi amigos en la fe

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
Rooster

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2017, 11:34:50 PM »

There are also vials, sold by Survival Resources and County Comm that are water proof and would probably hold a baby Bic, if not a full sized one. Pennies on the dollar, two or thee at a purchase. I keep a $20 dollar bill and four of five Lucky's stashed in one in my day bag.

Rooster

I can be just as angry at the jihadists for wanting to kill me, as they are angry with me for being an American.

Someday, the highest peak on the tallest mountain on earth, may be nothing more than a grain of sand on the beach.
Drivebytrucker

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2017, 12:20:15 AM »

I don't think the vail shape is right to hold a mini bic but a clipper is more cylinder shaped and may fit. The electic flameless lighters may be a dumb fad but I could see one lighting good tinder in windy conditions where a flame would fail.

Quill

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »

"I keep $20 and 4 or 5 Lucky's in one."

You keep that many condoms? You must feel lucky.   Grin

What's over the next hill?
Rooster

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2017, 05:17:11 PM »

You already know, but just for the record, 4 or 5 Lucky Strike Cig.
 You do realize Quill, here in Texas, how big a vial it would take to hold just 1 Texas sized condom.

Rooster

Combat-Trout

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2017, 05:27:44 PM »

You already know, but just for the record, 4 or 5 Lucky Strike Cig.
 You do realize Quill, here in Texas, how big a vial it would take to hold just 1 Texas sized condom.

Rooster

Wow, I can't believe it, you just set your own size trap, stepped into it, and hit the trigger... 

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
Quill

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2017, 06:50:57 PM »

We could give him a break and let it slide.   

What's over the next hill?
Rooster

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2017, 07:16:02 PM »

I knew I was going to catch it for that, but I couldn't resist. I will plead in favor of Quills suggestion.

Rooster

Combat-Trout

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2017, 08:23:34 PM »

We could give him a break and let it slide.   

But, but....

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
Rooster

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2017, 09:02:14 PM »

It's Quill's fault, the condoms are only for medicinal purposes. I promise, well kind of.

Rooster

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting