May 24, 2017, 11:51:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advancement of the Hand Drill  (Read 2632 times)
Claykan

« on: January 25, 2016, 12:03:30 PM »

Just ran across a very interesting video showing a guy starting a fire with a hand drill. Then using nothing but primitive means to make it better, he drilled a hole through the center of a stone to make a flywheel, and weaved fibers for a cord to make a twist type of drill. Kinda like a bow drill without the bow. Then improved upon that by baking clay flywheels and ended up with a nice pump drill. All of which he used to start a fire, and used nothing but stone, plants and tree branches. It's only an 8 minute video, but very interesting.

Hopefully this isn't a rerun of something already posted here.    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEl-Y1NvBVI

Fred

Today rather than tomorrow, and tomorrow rather than later.
Jeanne D'Arc at Vaucoleurs - 1429
oldgeekster1

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:23:43 PM »

If you've just got to make a friction fire - try this method.  I did and have never gone back.

http://dirttimedude.blogspot.com/2016/01/not-just-another-bow-and-drill.html
oldgeekster1

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 11:08:41 PM »

Deliberately posting in another old topic, but wanted to share this as an alternative way to get the old pump drill working without having to mess with boring a hole in a soft stone to act as a kind of flywheel...  The young man is right, I have avoided that method because it is time/energy/calorie consuming - this method takes about half and hour, and I still would prefer the Egyptian Bow Drill that was introduced here on the DirtTime Forums some years back if my only goal was to get a coal.  Having a pump drill is far more advantageous as a primitive means of drilling holes, etc., something that could come in handy beyond getting fire.

The Field Expedient Pump Drill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QDXUxTrlRw

The video is long, but you will get the concept inside the first two minutes and that is all Dirttimers will really need to see and file away in their minds.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:11:00 PM by oldgeekster1 » Logged
oldgeekster1

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 11:32:19 PM »

While I am at it, our old buddy Woods is at it again calling "malarkey" and setting some folks straight:

"Primitive"Fire With Injury...OH MY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctjStT9T3I

Enjoyed heck out of his video....  I'm gonna miss his "peak a week" series, but understand where he is coming from.  Good stuff! 

Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 02:38:07 PM »

the problem with the making of a fly wheel is the balance not as easy most of the the time  as shown... if the wheel is off just a bit it wont work right...

Dude

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot...
I'm not in  here with you , you are in here with me!...
 Of course I'm out of my mind , it's dark and scary in there...
Be a DirtBag and Fill it by Owning the Skills...
http://dirttimedude.blogspot.com visit my blog
"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
oldgeekster1

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 09:39:01 PM »

the problem with the making of a fly wheel is the balance not as easy most of the the time  as shown... if the wheel is off just a bit it wont work right...

Dude

Ayup, ya might have to adjust it, but that method is adjustable and a quite a bit faster than boring a hole in soft stone.  It just made sense to me when I saw the video, something I'd never seen, nor tried - but doggone sure gonna give this one a go.  Gotta try it myself before I start wasting part of my mental file system trying to remember it - dang thing must be getting full or something!  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting