August 21, 2017, 04:31:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Automobile Survival Kit  (Read 1985 times)
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« on: January 05, 2016, 12:39:43 AM »

Just posted an article, about Sgt. Tsunokai's choice of survival kit items.  Hope you find something useful in the article.
deerstalker

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 03:25:15 AM »

Alan Halcon

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 11:29:18 AM »

Christopher, not to be nit picky, but I would like to point out lower case is a Marine thing. He was in the Army and its all caps and in his case, he was a Staff Sergeant, so SSG is correct.

In the past year I've done a bit of travel to and from some remote locations. One of the things I've packed are a couple of those Duraflame logs, in case I want to get my pseudo bushcraft on. They burn 3 hours each and burn fairly clean. Of course I have several roadflares and what not, but those duraflames are one of those common sense things in a world where sense is not so common. I also carry a propane heater that I can use in the vehicle, vented of course. On my latest trip to Washington, I thought for a second I might have to use one as we went into the Siskiyou Pass... The snow was pretty bad

Quill

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »

Duraflame logs are a handy item. Get extra towards spring when the big box stores move toward getting rid of winter items at a discount. Chop one up into small pieces for fire starting. Everyone has their on vehicle emergency items. I don't carry a gas can except in a jerry can that fastens to the outside of the vehicle full of gas. Empty can is not very useful. Better to watch so your tank doesn't go below 1/4. I prefer tire plugs to fix a flat. The rubber plug kits are the nicest.  http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-1075-Tire-Plugger/dp/B0018EUDHW Fix a flat doesn't always work and is a mess to clean out when the tire is repaired. This ARB works good and with some snare wire can fix a side wall to get you out of the back country at low speed. http://www.amazon.com/ARB-10000010-Orange-Speedy-Repair/dp/B004P91FCO One other thing I would point out. If you get a small compressor try it at home. Let the air out of one tire on the vehicle and then try to air it up. See if it can do it and if it takes all day. Some those pumps are a joke. Lastly, I do carry jumper cables mostly to start others vehicle. A better option is booster pack.http://www.amazon.com/Truck-ES6000-3000-Peak-Starter/dp/B000JFNAJY] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Truck-ES6000-3000-Peak-Starter/dp/B000JFNAJY[/url] You can run your vehicle on one of these to get home. Avoid the ones that have air compressors and other crap on them. This is also a better way to boost someone else's vehicle. Just my 2 cents.

What's over the next hill?
Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 06:32:34 PM »

thanks for the clarification Alan
vector001

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 08:08:35 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Truck-ES6000-3000-Peak-Starter/dp/B000JFNAJY[/url] You can run your vehicle on one of these to get home. Avoid the ones that have air compressors and other crap on them. This is also a better way to boost someone else's vehicle. Just my 2 cents.

i echo that.

i bring them on my long drives. i rescued a couple from a remote campground last October with one i've had for years.

vec

"Evaluation is more important than calculation" - Garry Kasparov

Your source for the famous Arrowcards and other innovative goodies.

Contact -
michaelg@equinoxcoronado.com

Need ARROWCARDS FAST?
arrowcards@equinoxcoronado.com
nemoaz

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 09:50:34 PM »

Speaking of vehicle survival supplies, I once had a CRV that had a door on the rear hatch leading to a storage spot.  With very little effort you can use these spaces in every vehicle, the upholstery panels usually just pop off or at most need a small screwdriver, and not upset the wifey about the "junk" in the car.
vector001

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 10:50:49 PM »

Speaking of vehicle survival supplies, I once had a CRV that had a door on the rear hatch leading to a storage spot.  With very little effort you can use these spaces in every vehicle, the upholstery panels usually just pop off or at most need a small screwdriver, and not upset the wifey about the "junk" in the car.

definitely.

a lot of unused space in vehicles; so i hear.... 

vec

Contact -

Need ARROWCARDS FAST?
Combat-Trout

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 11:47:18 PM »

gear in the car is important, up here we have wool blankets too, If I'm out with the family I have heat pads and ank bivy bags. Cheap insurance. I once a year we seem to have a storm wherein people are stupid and run out of gas, this blocking everyone's else and causing others to run out. I always top off before a storm, but still, shit happens and extra ways to stay warm and dry can be life savers. I like how the article talked about the cost, anything in the car can disappear fast. I've camo'd my truck bed containers, some drywall mud, misc paint, duck tape, etc, looks like a junk box in the bed... Even faux rusted the locked to make it look uncared for, mostly just for fun. Been lucky and haven't been hit so maybe it works. Or maybe I live in a good spot...

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
Quill

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 08:49:29 AM »

Thieves around only go for unlocked vehicles or smash and grab. Leave nothing visible. I like extended cab trucks for that reason. Not enough window to see anything. SUVs tend to have neat little areas for extras. We have an old CRV that has the door spot, a drawer under the front passenger seat and there is room under the back seats and the fold out table. Old Jeep CJs have neat little spots. Tool box under the passenger seat and even better in front of the windshield some came with a battery box for the 24v system. Unless you know old Jeeps you wouldn't know it and most who do still don't make a container to fit in there. You also need to realize the more you haul the less your gas mileage. For most people a towing service is their best bang for their buck. Personally I don't like waiting around for one. Still I have one that costs a buck or two a month with my car insurance. You pay the bill up front and they refund you. I have used it for when I can't get rescued by friends. I have a tow bar for some things and a couple of friends have tow dollies.

Christopher Nyerges
Lynch Mob

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 11:49:48 AM »

I try to keep everything valuable Hidden as well as possible. Even if it's really junk, I cover it, just because people will steal something if it looks worth breaking a window for.  OF course, always lock your doors. In some areas, keeping the door unlocked is almost like giving it away.  Never forget that thugs are everywhere....
... though not as common in Dude's neighborhood...
Quill

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 01:31:54 PM »

Not as many thieves here. The snow and cold makes them move to large cities or California. My truck doesn't look like anything is worth stealing. Grin  When I put tool boxes on the sides I will have to install auxiliary locks on them. Thieves here are big on grabbing ATVs, snowmobiles and other high end toys. Of course camera equipment is easy to peddle so that and other electronic equipment is grabbed. Heck they won't even mess with most car stereos unless it something really high end. They would rather steal a whole car. Doesn't mean you should be careless.

vector001

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 01:40:02 PM »

In some areas, keeping the door unlocked is almost like giving it away.  Never forget that thugs are everywhere....

that's why i installed one of these on all my wheels.

https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRNVxHPJ0hM

it's especially handy if you have some russian boar hybrids that need feeding.

vec

Contact -

Need ARROWCARDS FAST?
Fuer Grissa Ost Drauka
Lynch Mob

Redneck Iconoclast

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 02:25:39 PM »

Back when I had my beautiful pit bull cross, my truck was never locked...

Pacifism is the abdication of life.()
Civility is over-rated.()
The cure for anything is salt water- sweat, tears, or the sea.
-Isak Dinesen.
Quill

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 03:32:28 PM »

Back when I had my beautiful pit bull cross, my truck was never locked...

It's fun to watch thugs eyes get big as platters when faced with a snarling set of teeth.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting