October 23, 2017, 05:24:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lock Smithing class  (Read 1149 times)
backwoodstrails

Narcoleptic Insomniac

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 10:44:44 PM »

Bogota picks come in both the tiny and full size.  I have used the tiny ones and opened some of my locks with them.  Considering that they were my first picks ever, that's not too shabby.  I have a nice starter set from sparrows now and am teaching myself single pin picking now.  Just got spool pins figured out.   Looking for a serrated pin trainer now. I would not suggest ignoring Bogota picks as they do have merit.
https://store.itstactical.com/security/bogota-titanium-flats-4-piece-toolset.html

I would not suggest ignoring anything that works for you. If you have success with something then it has merit, no question about it. I can only reflect on my experiences with thin handled picks.
These types of picks came with a pick set I purchased over 20 years back when I first got into locksmithing. Once I found the picks with the more substantial handles, I left the others behind.
Everyone has different experiences with these types of things and your have to try out different ones to find what works best for you.

Truth is - time is money in any business, and walking up to a locked door with a pick gun is usually significantly faster, then you can be on to your next call and next invoice -
much faster than using any pick, rake or my favorite, a diamond hook - (Rytan "Bill De' Forest" pick - the one Christopher has for sale).

Great job if you figured out spool or mushroom pins. With those top pins, I always had to get everything above the shear line and pick down rather than up, not easy
to pick locks with spool pins.

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Autobiography of Mark Twain
Erg

I love my home lobotomy kit...

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 08:57:18 AM »

I can see what you mean about speed, but I don't want to only know how to use a pick gun so I'm starting from the other end of the spectrum.  Otherwise my own laziness will stop my progress.  As for handles, I prefer the thin picks for the feedback on spool pins.  I plans to make my own handles for a different set later but I find that my set works for now.  I use a half diamond, s rake, hook, and w rake in order of preference.
That said, I do this for the simple joy of solving a 3d puzzle by feel.  I think that this drives my approach to my tool selection as opposed to your time sensitive production needs.

I'm am grateful for your insight however.
Take care,

Erg.
Erg

I love my home lobotomy kit...

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 10:23:26 AM »

Just found that Peterson makes .018 in thick bogata picks with handles
They call em bogies but I might just have to get them.
backwoodstrails

Narcoleptic Insomniac

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 03:07:36 PM »

"Due to the many requests we have received over the years, these picks are now manufactured with molded handles to allow greater stability while picking".

Yes, the above quote from Peterson is exactly what I was suggesting.

Peterson makes good tools, I have their plug spinner, Everest bypass tension wrench, and a few of their picks - All quality stuff!

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Autobiography of Mark Twain
mischief

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 02:56:31 PM »

What is your opinion of bang keys ?
Petzlglyph

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 03:23:37 PM »

Are you referring to opening a lock with a 12 Gauge?   Grin   Or what (in my neck of the woods) are referred to as Bump Keys?  If the latter, I did get a set a while back, but don't have much time behind them. I also got the rubber rings and a bump hammer for a decent price from:  www.bumpschool101.com  It also includes a short ebook that explains how to use them.
You can easily make them yourself but I got these for a little more than the cost of a set of blanks.  Sorry I can't give a better review until i get to spend some time with them.

The lower the level of preparation, the higher the odds of being hopelessly lost!    Knowledge is like fertilizer, it won't do you any good unless you spread it around.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting