July 26, 2014, 02:12:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dave Canterbury off DUAL SURVIVAL?  (Read 66154 times)
Longrifle

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »

Good posts on this thread. I really hadn't seen an episode of Dual Surv. until this thread popped up. Started watching the shows on Youtube. I was surprised in that it wasn't really all that bad and if one looked passed the producer induced hollywood bs there is good info. there. What is annoying about this is that DC has some good skills and knowledge, too bad he couldn't match it with moral integrity.

TAP, don't be too hard on yourself or the other responsible instructors for policing the ranks, we students all have a crapometer on board too, its just a question of whether we let our egos or logic interpret which way the needle swings. If we pay attention we figure out pretty quick who the good guys are.

Rod.

Hey Longrifle, when are ya comin' up to Gods country? Need someone young and strong to haul me around in the woods Grin

Hey Rod, you know a few years ago my wife's Uncle asked me to go hunting with him and some other family on a deer hunt in Wyoming.  Well I could not resist of course so I went.  Now Logan (Uncle) was 62 I knew that right off, but he was healthy.  When we arrived, I noticed everyone else was in their late sixties.  Within the first day I knew why I was there.  Yes, pack mule to get the deer out.  There mostly road hunters and im a long distance hiker and love being solo.  

Well the first cousin, Patrick shot a deer on the side of a canyon and it rolled half way and hung up on a branch.  He looked at me and I looked back and said nothing.  He started up the side of that canyon and got stuck on the opposite side of a rock face from where the deer came to rest.  I knew he was going the wrong way, but I learned my lesson years ago to not say much to elders who know it all. Kinda like Dude..... Well he got stuck, winded and could not come back down. He was exhausted.

I climbed up the correct side of the rock face, flipped the doe's leg off the branch and down she fell 50 feet. I climbed down to her,wrapped my strap around her neck and drug her down on my own using her as a counter balance as we ran down the slope another 100 yards.  Drug her across a small creek next to his truck.  He arrived 20 minutes later to finish gutting her after he rested.  The next day was a similar situation, but only a long distance drag.  Now I don't mind helping out at all, but I learned a lesson or two....... Cheesy

Now Rod, I just might come to Montana, but I know you and your capabilities and there ain't no way in hell im carrying you around brother...LOL.  But I would love to spend some time together up there.  Retirement is soon, keep the fire warm buddy!!!

Brian  
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:08:59 PM by Longrifle » Logged
Rodsbt

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2012, 07:01:48 PM »

Good on ya!
I keep rolling logs onto the fire til' you get up here.
Longrifle

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 11:07:46 PM »

Copy that Rod.   Hey is the guy on the show Mountain Men close to you in NW Montana?  It looks like he is in your neck of the woods near the Yak River.  Kind of a bad show, but just wondering.  When you coming to teach at another Dirttime?  Take care buddy and put another log on the fire I guess.

Brian 
Rodsbt

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »

I haven't watched the show but the Yak is an hour and half from me, about as far into the NW corner of Mt. you can go without being on ID. or Canada.
If thick forest is what one wants, that's the place to go! True Sasquach country.

George

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2012, 10:46:17 PM »

I watched the first and second show but then I lost interest. I have heard of Orr but I don't think he is paying for that cabin or his light bill with just 2 beaver. I wanted to watch the guy in Alaska but if he is really going out trapping wolves unarmed he isn't the sharpest pencil in the box. What is he going to do if he catches a wolf strangle it? The guy down south I can't stand so I probably won't be watching anymore shows.

Some people are only alive because there are laws against killing them.
Longrifle

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 05:24:51 PM »

George I agree...Marty in Alaska spends more time driving around and repairing his snow machine than anything.  Orr in Montana is boring.  The last episode where he went to Idaho to visit his brother, now the brother looked more of a Mountain Man in my opinion and I could have watched a show with him only.  Eustice in North Carolina is not worth watching at all.  Its all about him losing his land to me.  Im done watching too. Waste of time. 

Brian
Curmudgeon

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2012, 05:39:36 PM »

... Now Rod, I just might come to Montana, but I know you and your capabilities and there ain't no way in hell im carrying you around brother...LOL.  But I would love to spend some time together up there.  Retirement is soon, keep the fire warm buddy!!!

Brian  

You wouldnt come all this way and not stop by here would you?  We're only about another 50 miles north. 

Steve

"It's easier to get things done with a kind word and a gun, than a kind word alone." - Al Capone
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Longrifle

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2012, 06:20:10 PM »

Hey Steve, of course not.  I would love to see you and Susan again.  I read everything ya post and love the photos.  Nothing better than seeing it in person I always say.   Take care and be safe!!

Brian
meancoyote

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »

Brian,

I've been obsessed lately with lightweight canoe country camping gear and all dry food pack and thinking of buying a lightweight carbon Kevlar canoe, but I could save some money and forget about all that if we could just partner up for an old fashioned Minnesota boarder waters canoe trip with lots of portages. What do you say?

Your decrepit 70-year-old Minnesota homeboy
Longrifle

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2012, 08:58:11 PM »

Hey Paul that sounds like a similar invite as the Wyoming trip.  I would love to be stupid again and fall for that one.  I can see it now, hey Brian can you grab that, this and oh yeah these and hall them up over that rock portage while I carry my knife and billy can.  Thanks Paul your so kind.  You fall in the same with Rod.  You may be 70, but I have seen your capabilities too.  Nice try!!!  Canoes are a hell of alot lighter than deer I think and it isn't dead weight.  I could carry a canoe on each shoulder Wink  Man that would be a great time.  We will talk in the dirt my friend.

Brian your canoe and pack mule!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:06:24 PM by Longrifle » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting