October 01, 2014, 07:12:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Dave Canterbury off DUAL SURVIVAL?  (Read 66181 times)
MountainMan

« on: June 13, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »

Looks like Dave Canterbury will be replaced on DUAL SURVIVAL. Cody has posted a comment on his FACEBOOK page, "...dishonesty about ones background and experience is an inexcusable breach of trust", which suggests to me Dave stands accused. Does anyone know what the heck has happened...?

- MM
meancoyote

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 12:13:50 AM »

I have connections to some of these people and could uncover the last detail of this if I wanted to. But I feel nothing but loathing and embarrassment for this kind of behavior: grudges and public recrimination. Especially among men and even more particularly, among outdoor men--men who still are trying to be men in an emasculating office cubicle world.

On the other hand, I love gossip. What I heard from a close source is that Dave falsified some of his military experience in the advertisements for the show. If true, so what. I was in the military. That someone so esteems the military or some aspect of it that they feel they must falsely add it to their resume is almost flattering even if somewhat pathetic. This is a show, not the CIA. If true, I would hope that Dave would apologize and come to grips with why he did it and everyone move on. I know both Dave and Cody and worked with them on an episode of Dual Survivor. I was impressed with their commitment and dedication to survival skills and especially to authenticity.
MountainMan

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 01:26:13 AM »

That's it? Seems kind of petty to me, but having said that I know a lot of military folk take a dim view of folks who lie about their awards, MOS, etc. I would have thought DISCOVERY would have done some fact-checking or background before hiring Dave.

To my mind, Bear going to a 5-star motel every night was a worse fraud. Poor Les Stroud's show probably ddn't get more play `cause he wasn't as theatrical.

You nailed it though...it's a TV show, and therefore a production and rarely anywhere near *reality*. "I SHOULDN'T BE ALIVE" is probably one of the better shows because it recreates real events, not "what if's". The other thing that occurs to me is that no one in their right mind would go out and intentionally do these things...they're what you do when the chips are down!

I enjoyed Cody and Dave's opposing styles and I'll miss them together.

- MM
Combat-Trout

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »

That's it? Seems kind of petty to me, but having said that I know a lot of military folk take a dim view of folks who lie about their awards, MOS, etc. I would have thought DISCOVERY would have done some fact-checking or background before hiring Dave.

To my mind, Bear going to a 5-star motel every night was a worse fraud. Poor Les Stroud's show probably ddn't get more play `cause he wasn't as theatrical.

You nailed it though...it's a TV show, and therefore a production and rarely anywhere near *reality*. "I SHOULDN'T BE ALIVE" is probably one of the better shows because it recreates real events, not "what if's". The other thing that occurs to me is that no one in their right mind would go out and intentionally do these things...they're what you do when the chips are down!

- MM

So let's face it, Discovery hasn't lived in the world of real science or fact for some time now (how much do any of us really need to discovery about crab fishing? How they've turned a 1 hour documentary into a multiple seasons is beyond me.). Once you get past that (and it's hard for me to watch anything now days because of the blatant errors) it can be entertaining.

I liked Les but he's such a downer, and his newer stuff seems more about finding whacky weeds than anything else. As for BG, well as much as he's careless with almost everything now, he is entertaining. If you can gets past the "scripted/hollyweird" part of any of these shows there are nuggets to be learned even it's through negative examples of what not to do.

Personally I thought Dave and Cody made a great team and provided contrasts of methods and ideologies. I think everyone embellishes their "war stories"/tales/adventures to some extent. But I think there's a difference between that and lying about your service record. The same thing goes for guys wearing BDUs, who cares; they're overbuilt tough clothes. But don't put a SEAL patch/pin on it unless you earned it.

I won't pass judgement until the facts come out, if the accusations are true I'll be disappointed. He punched up his resume for marketing, that's an ethical issue that bothers me; but i find it less offensive that all the lying politicians/civil servants/media drones who do it daily without regard for our shared futures.

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
Snowbound

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 09:27:19 AM »

I have heard people react to hyped up military records (whether complete fabrications or material changes) with everything from total, vehement disgust to almost feeling sorry for the individuals that resort to such things.

As far as whether is merits Dave not being on the show anymore (whether of his own volition or not), let's put it in perspective.

If someone submits a resume, or states in an interview, that they have 'Merit skill XYZ' and it turns out to be a minor fabrication or embellishment, that might be one thing. But, if they stated the Merit, then use it as a primary (or, high secondary) qualification and drone on about it and then get caught, well, they would likely find themselves unemployed. If i over stated my qualifications to any great degree and got caught, i would fully expect to, at least, be disciplined if not terminated.

A little embellishment is par for the course for many and I don't have too much of an issue with it. But, I have a hard time giving a by for known, material falsehoods.

You can google (of course, keep a healthy level of suspicion for any internet research not done with peer evaluated material) Dave's records. Several people have done fairly intensive research into the issue and lay it out pretty well. I would wait until Dave responds before passing too deep of a judgement (only fair), but the research is pretty self explanatory.

There is little doubt that Dave is a skilled individual, believes in what he does, and takes pride and joy in passing those skills on. Whether you like him or not, beleive him or not, Dave has had an effect on the prepper/survival world.

However, there are others who are just as skilled, just as passionate, and just as willing to pass along their knowledge that do not resort to what might be material misrepresentations. 

I, too, loved the dichotomy of the show. There is always another way of doing something and i leanred as much from comparing and contrasting the two styles as the actual skills and situations presented.

Jim

Pirate Viceroy, Dirtbag 2nd Class

Because, when it comes to zombies...well, "deader is better"

We are the Pirates your mother warned you about

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"
Hacksaw
Lynch Mob

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 09:29:31 AM »

Sounds very much like what Chef Robert Irvine went through on the Food Network:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Irvine#Controversy_over_culinary_credits

Hasn't hurt his career...there's no such thing as bad publicity...or so they say.

Truth or not, it worked...you're talking about him. For all we know it's part of a greater plan...like a Kim Kardashian sex tape.
ghost 0311/8541

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 10:39:55 AM »

did not stop the president where was he born again

My mind is my weapon.  Everything else is just accessories.
Sometimes the majority means that all the fools are on the same side.
Gibbs rule #9 Never go any where without a knife.
MountainMan

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »

So let's face it, Discovery hasn't lived in the world of real science or fact for some time now (how much do any of us really need to discovery about crab fishing? How they've turned a 1 hour documentary into a multiple seasons is beyond me.). Once you get past that (and it's hard for me to watch anything now days because of the blatant errors) it can be entertaining.

Seriously Trout...I am so tired of THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL, THE LEARNING CHANNEL, and THE HISTORY CHANNEL presenting shows on "Storage Whores", Tattoo Parlors, cursing Commercial Fishing Captains and their family dramas, PAWN-O-Graphic Stars, Hot Rodders, and Restoration Rats. These shows belong on a channel of their own, though I am not sure what to categorize it...FRINGE SOCIETY CHANNEL perhaps. On the the other hand, perhaps this a reflection of the I.Q. of the average dumbed-down New American [courtesy of Uncle Sham].

What has happened to real science and history on these channels supposedly dedicated to presenting that knowledge...?

As to Dave, he has done a lot of good in opening the outdoors to people, such as with his PATHFINDER YOUTH program, and I see no reason to judge him harshly thus far. 
Combat-Trout

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 12:25:33 PM »

Seriously Trout...I am so tired of THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL, THE LEARNING CHANNEL, and THE HISTORY CHANNEL presenting shows on "Storage Whores", Tattoo Parlors, cursing Commercial Fishing Captains and their family dramas, PAWN-O-Graphic Stars, Hot Rodders, and Restoration Rats. These shows belong on a channel of their own, though I am not sure what to categorize it...FRINGE SOCIETY CHANNEL perhaps. On the the other hand, perhaps this a reflection of the I.Q. of the average dumbed-down New American [courtesy of Uncle Sham].

What has happened to real science and history on these channels supposedly dedicated to presenting that knowledge...?

As to Dave, he has done a lot of good in opening the outdoors to people, such as with his PATHFINDER YOUTH program, and I see no reason to judge him harshly thus far. 

Exactly! I'm so sick of shows claiming something of promise only to DISCOVER that none of the expeditions or research is required to find anything, it's all about how hard it is to do something... poor whiners. Sorry, if you didn't want to live in a tent with eagle sized skeeters and flying crocidiles you should have studied harder in school... I find it offensive that so many of today's researchers have no credentials and in fact most are nothing more than actors in khaki shirts, unless they're women, then it's tank tops cause that's what sell...

Our society is so based on lies and dishonesty now days that a lot of people don't care anymore. SAD. Personally I like Dave and I think he's got a lot to teach, a lot of people will want to crucify him. I think that's wrong to. It's ironic the discovery would judge him so harshly when they wouldn't know truth if it bit them on the butt. If he's any kind of man (and I hope he is) he'll take responsibility/apologize, take his lashes, and then we'll all move on to important issues.

The other day hiking my kids were joking about Sasquatches (in the Wasatches  Grin), some "more gentle" folks overheard and were getting scared and started asking what to do if they encountered one... SERIOUSLY?Huh? That is what happens when parents abdicate their responsibilities and trust their kids education to teachers, unions, and administrators...

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
MountainMan

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 12:44:22 PM »

The other day hiking my kids were joking about Sasquatches (in the Wasatches  ), some "more gentle" folks overheard and were getting scared and started asking what to do if they encountered one... SERIOUSLY?

Personally, I doubt the existence of the Saquatch. Having said that, folks who have allegedly encountered it have indicated it is merely curious about humans and not actively aggressive or hostile. Some Native Americans acknowledge it's existance and consider it a benevolent spirit or woods guardian of sorts. Either way, its a wonderful American woods myth!

MM
Combat-Trout

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 01:48:29 PM »

The other day hiking my kids were joking about Sasquatches (in the Wasatches  ), some "more gentle" folks overheard and were getting scared and started asking what to do if they encountered one... SERIOUSLY?

Personally, I doubt the existence of the Saquatch. Having said that, folks who have allegedly encountered it have indicated it is merely curious about humans and not actively aggressive or hostile. Some Native Americans acknowledge it's existance and consider it a benevolent spirit or woods guardian of sorts. Either way, its a wonderful American woods myth!

MM

I'm about the same, though if I saw one and could harvest it... well, maybe I could get a show on Discovery! 

oldgeekster1

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 03:24:11 PM »

MM

I'm about the same, though if I saw one and could harvest it... well, maybe I could get a show on Discovery! 

Oh Crap - I can see it now - "eXtreme Sasquatch SAR Techniques hosted by Discovery Channel" and some producer offering $5k checks for stuff like rappelling upside down.  Roll Eyes

“Wish I had time for just one more bowl of chili.” — Alleged last words of Kit Carson, frontiersman.
If you bring up any topic involving sex, politics, or religion – you are bound to get differences of opinion. If you want to have a real knock-down-drag-out FIGHT, just make the topic “Chili”. — Dave
"If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together." — African proverb.
mischief

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 03:32:29 PM »

- MM
[/
Around a year ago the Bushcraft forum ,I belive the owner,did a post of all the miss info,lies,Dave C  did about his Military service ,from official Govt records,The guy is a liar,Dave C that is.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:35:09 PM by mischief » Logged
EdD270

Wanderer

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 05:38:06 PM »

MM

I've not seen a Sasquatch, but know folks who say they have. I see no reason there could not be such a creature, and am in the "absence of proof is not proof of absence" school.
It's fun to be in the woods and think that we don't know as much about our world as we think we do.

"Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps and happy campfires." ~Fred Bear~
kairological

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »

That legend started on the Kali North Coast.  But man, I tell ya...  That's just what people LOOK like up here.

Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant. -Tacitus
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting