August 23, 2014, 06:26:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever heard of Marshal South?  (Read 561 times)
MountainMan

« on: February 03, 2012, 04:05:26 AM »

Saw a program on this man's primitive living experiment on KCET the other morning. Had never heard of him. Very interesting stuff: www.marshalsouth.com
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »

Yes, have hiked to his homestead site many times... A very interesting place. I on Bill Qualls site he has pictures posted ...
 When we did the Anza B.  Dirttime (2005 or 6) I took a bunch of the Dirttimers up to his place.
 His big problem was himself.
 His other big problem they had to bring in all the water.
 While he wouldleave his family on the mountain he would hike out and meet girl friends etc...
 My undersatnding is that one or two of the childern never had anything to do with the outdoors after they grew up.

Dude

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot...
I'm not in  here with you , you are in here with me!...
 Of course I'm out of my mind , it's dark and scary in there...
Be a DirtBag and Fill it by Owning the Skills...

"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
MountainMan

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 01:34:30 PM »

I found a video on YOUTUBE where a gentleman narrates a walk-through of the remains of the South family cabin. Besides the adobe home, South built cisterns to collect additional water and a stone sundial for telling time. Can't imagine much water falling in the desert nor why you'd care about time. I think it's interesting that this primitive living experiment took place in the depression era, but then with everything scarce and little money, maybe it was good timing to live self-reliant. An online article says he did some writing about searching for water, fuel and food, archeological sites and artifacts and petroglyphs in the area, and primitive basket making. The program said he was a prolific western novel writer(!) Another online article says he made long scouts for deadfall firewood and learned a lot about the desert during those wandering. I see failings in his experiment where he co-mingled modern accoutrements [a frame bed] with his attempt at primitive living. In the final analysis, Mr. South's experiment might actually be defined more as a kind of low-impact/self-reliant homesteading than "true" primitive living.

- MM
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 01:45:02 PM »

That is a glorified version of the place...
 A lot of the ruins are left. Including the old spring beds and cisterns , sun dial , walls ...etc...
 He used to buy canned goods and haul them back.
 It is not a walk in the park going up the trail to his place. Very steep in places, takes about an hour to get to it.
 Lots of artifacs left and you can put it together very well. Some of the housing walls are still standing.
 They used to have a ranger take you up there if you wanted, but anyone who can hike it can do it...
 It is well worth the time...

Dude...

"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
MountainMan

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 03:34:16 PM »

I gotta go see the Anza Borrego soon...never been there.
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »

My Dad took there the first time in 1955... Been going back ever since then

I have hiked and camped all over the area.

My Dads ashes were scattered  up in Palm Canyon...

The Anza B is a great place... The Palm canyon camp ground is pretty nice, but you can camp anywhere in the "park" ..

Dude...

MountainMan

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 01:12:47 AM »

Dude, what's the best time of year to visit...Spring, before it gets too hot I would think?
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 08:35:14 PM »

From right now unti and trhough May... Then from late Oct on ....

But I do like to go in the heat of the summer, no one is there... Just a few other nut cases..

Dude..

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting