July 29, 2014, 11:47:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nessmuk pack and the L.L. Bean waxed pack  (Read 2181 times)
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« on: November 15, 2011, 11:31:54 PM »

Today while housecleaning in my man den.. I decided to empty out the Nessmuk waxed cotton pack and do a repacking/evaluation.
 Did the same with my L.L. Bean traditional waxed cotton pack.

I have had the Nessmuk pack for about , hmmm , can it be that long, 10 years?  Yep maybe a bit longer.
 This has been one of my favorite packs. It has stood the test of time and use. It has taken on that patina that waxed cotton gets only after much use. Unlike a knife blade you cannot fake it.  I like it , I like that look and the feel. I like the smell.
 So to be correct, I stashed my Nessmuk knife in the pack, and my Nessmuk mini neck knife. How cool is that?
 However, they are backed by my ever present Skookum Bush Tool.
 I refreshed some of the gear, and switched out other stuff. Kind of changed my gear around. Might go into detail with another post..

Did the same with the L.L., Bean pack... A side comment here, the L.L. Bean is not made as well as the Nessmuk from Frost River.
 It does , however, fit me very well and is a just enough larger that other items will fit well in the pack .
 In spite of a few issues I have with the L.L. Bean it remains my at the top , under the Nessmuk pack as a user. I switch off with these two packs all the time.

Some of you may recall I wrote an article in Wilderness Way magazine about traditional packs, these packs were included in that article. That article used to be posted here, I think it got lost somehow. Anyway several other packs were reviewed at the time, including a Duluth pack, and the New Invented Knapp Sack. I like  this pack as well, might look into having it waxed.. I tried that once myself and it was a wreck. If anyone has that article we could perhaps post it again.. That and my article about " How To Wear a Blanket" 

Alrighty then, just an update on the life of the packs...

Dude..

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot...
I'm not in  here with you , you are in here with me!...
 Of course I'm out of my mind , it's dark and scary in there...
Be a DirtBag and Fill it by Owning the Skills...

"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
james huffaker

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »

Thanks sir, appreciate the post. Waiting for the elaboration. Might have to visit Frost River again.
Regards, Jim
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 05:24:39 PM by james huffaker » Logged
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 11:03:02 PM »

Hmmmm, found a photo, marked 2000, and I have the Nessmuk on... So now I dont really know when I got it... so that is 12 or 13 years

My comment about the L.L. Bean pack...
 Let me clarify:: The canvas and the wax job is just fine. The sewing on the canvas and so on are well done. The buckles are fine.
 What I have an issue with is the leather straps.. They sewed together two thin pieces of leather, and thye thread salong thge edges continues to shred and come out. Why they copped out with this is beyond me, but they did. I have lived with it now for several years, and I just trim off the frizzles.. But it pisses me off. I might take the pack to a lady here in L.A  area who patches and works on packs  and other gear.. Have her replace the damn cheap ass work Bean did..
 Perhaps they have corrected thye problem..

Also the Nessmuk and Bean , at this poiint are used  about 50 50.. I do not carry much, so the Nessmuk is my choice just because it is a bit smaller. However, thats the trap isnt it?... A larger pack and we think we have to fuill it up... I have broken that habit...

Dude..

"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
Combat-Trout

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 01:33:05 AM »

Also the Nessmuk and Bean , at this poiint are used  about 50 50.. I do not carry much, so the Nessmuk is my choice just because it is a bit smaller. However, thats the trap isnt it?... A larger pack and we think we have to fuill it up... I have broken that habit...

Dude..

If it were only packs. Seems like that's the trend with everything these days from houses, SUVs, cities, etc... We all need stuff to live, but it's gotten out of control. I see a lot of the folly in consumerism and I'm trying to break that habit too. But, this year I asked my daughter what she wanted for Christmas and her response astounded me. She said she just wanted to help someone that truly needed it.  And she's been following through with it.

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
james huffaker

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 08:03:40 AM »

Very COOL! Good job.
If I might, how old is your daughter? My daughters 17, and while we occasionally see glimpses...Oh well, hope blooms eternal.

Regards, Jim
Quill

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:25:53 PM »

I remember your article Dude. If you have the straps replaced, take it to a small time saddle maker and get it done right. Have you tried melting the thread in the areas that are fraying? I don't cut my thread off when I am finished with my stitching. Melt it off with a small soldering iron or wood burning tool. I would say that it is not the leather but a poor quality thread that is causing the problem. It will continue to fuzz off with abrasion. I have eyed the LL Bean for a long time not to mention the offerings of Frost River and Duluth Pack. Like Lestor River they are close to me. But I usually drag out an old Poirier style made by a another company out of Duluth that is no longer in business.

What's over the next hill?
Goose

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 04:20:29 PM »

I had an LL Bean pack and was not impressed by the quality. I had the problem with the straps fraying early on. Then the lid of the pack had torn where the straps stitch to the lid, similiar to a postage stamp effect from the stitching. I ended up returning it for a refund. To me it had the "look" of a heavy duty canvas pack, but not the durability. For anyone looking at getting one, I would recommend putting the money towards a higher quality pack like a Frost River or Duluth Pack.

*Formally B.G. Leatherworks.
Combat-Trout

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 07:00:55 PM »

Very COOL! Good job.
If I might, how old is your daughter? My daughters 17, and while we occasionally see glimpses...Oh well, hope blooms eternal.

Regards, Jim

Missed this with the holidays and all. She's 10. Independent thinker and good sense of humor.

"At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that 'news' is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different--in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness." - Robert Heinlein
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 06:25:09 PM »

Goose, RE: your comments on the L.L. Bean...
Like all items they  seem to vary from batch to batch... I would suggest one be wary of the Bean and dont hesitate to send it back if it is not up to snuff.

I have had no problems with other areas of the Bean pack other than the straps, and I loaded it down many times over the last several years... However, I do agree with you on the Duluth, as well as the new Frost River items..

I travel very light , so the abuse I might subject any given pack too may not be equal to what others may have in their own experience.. The times I ,loaded it down were for classes and I carried many extra items with which to teach... ..

Dude..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:28:56 PM by Dude McLean » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting