July 25, 2014, 06:18:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: OUR SPONSORS SUPPORT US, PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THEM

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An old skill coming back  (Read 1660 times)
kell bells

Well behaved women RARELY make history ; )

« on: September 12, 2012, 10:09:52 PM »

Didn't quite know where to post this, so I figured Traditional Lifestyle might be best...if not right, just move it or do what you do Mod's.

So watching 619Victor's wife at DT12 on the down time we had, she was crocheting.  And I got to thinking a few weeks ago that has always been a skill that
I've wanted to learn.  My mom was a fabulous crocheter-- won tons of ribbons at the fair & some Best in Show for her work.
But she never had the patience to teach me, nor did I ever sit still long enough to learn it.
Well I've recently printed patterns, bought a beginners book & I have found that it's actually pretty relaxing!  And I now have a skill where I can make all kinds of nice stuff.
Hats, scarves, blankets, gloves, bags, sweaters...maybe a Net too.  (Wish I had learned crochet before going to DT for the net making class, the stitches are very similar)

I'll post pics later, but I've made a hat for my niece, started an afghan, made a hat & scarf set, working on a child's scarf.
My next project is to work on a poncho.  Found 2 pretty simple yet easy poncho patterns.  Nice thing too is that you can get the wool blend yarn.  With a tight stitch will definitely keep you warm on
cold nights.  So I can make all kinds of things now.  And I'm proud of myself for teaching myself.

Kudos Kell Bells.....LOL

I will call anyone Sugar, Baby, Darlin', Honey and any other "southern term of endearment" without any prejudice.  So please don't take offense.  It's not flirting it's just Southern Hospitality.
vector001

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:04:33 PM »

a knitted poncho is a little bit of heaven.

vec

Be respectful to your superiors, if you have any.

- "Advice to Youth", speech to The Saturday Morning Club, Boston, 15 April 1882. Mark Twain Speaking (1976), ed. Paul Fatout

Your source for the famous Arrowcards and other innovative goodies.

Contact Saint Erica -
ericag@equinoxcoronado.com

http://www.equinoxcoronado.com
Dude McLean
Lynch Mob

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:14:14 PM »

My daughter makes ear rings  that she crochets and sells... Different from knitting...

These crafts never really went away , just depends on who you are around in your life.. Most of us really do not have much of a reach into other folks life styles.

Dude

I have been where the hand of man has never set foot...
I'm not in  here with you , you are in here with me!...
 Of course I'm out of my mind , it's dark and scary in there...
Be a DirtBag and Fill it by Owning the Skills...

"I have sat in the front row of hell and spit in the devils eye, first the right then the left.
 I have lived my life in such a manner that when I roll out of bed in the morning and my feet hit the floor , the devils reaction is .. oh shit!!.. he's awake!!!.
kodiakdreamer

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 03:55:45 AM »

Good for you to teach yourself a skill.   Dont forget to make yourself one of those toilet paper covers and clothes for your toilet ! lol.
Can't wait to see some of what you'll make.   Im more of a knitter, years ago, using directions I made a sweater complete with button holes, now I'd be lucky to remember how to cast on and off.   Crochet sure goes faster, or so I've been told.
  Somewhere out there is a tree that needs a sweater ! 

Or a guy who needs a crocheted outfit

Does this mean we'll all get matching hand warmers from ya this winter? lol

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“She can't help it,' he said. 'She's got the soul of a poet and the emotional makeup of a junkyard dog.”
― Stephen King, Under the Dome
Drivebytrucker

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 01:58:34 PM »

Cool. I've no interest in crochet, but I would like to learn sewing and alterations. Simple things like adding on a pocket, hemming pants, etc. I regularly buy things from Etsy.com, which is a site described as Amazon meets Grandmas attic. I try to keep the money in America by buying homemade goods of quality, rather then some cheap junk made oversees and sold at a big box store. Though for a long while now, I have been eying an item that is made in Paris France. She does great work though.
kell bells

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »

My sister used to sell on Etsy.  In fact she almost made a ton of money from a little girls crochet hat pattern she designed, but her hands just can't do it anymore.
She sold the pattern, made a little money on that.

Sewing isn't very difficult to learn.  I'm still waiting for my sister to teach me....again if I can sit still long enough!

Yes, you will all get matching Wristers & Goombahs from me this Christmas!  LOL

Actually wristers look like they might be handy around the camp-- open fingers for all the little stuff you might need.  I have small hands, so finding any type of glove that fits
me is a PITA.  Kids sizes are too small, womens tend to be too big.  So I just suck it up.

I will call anyone Sugar, Baby, Darlin', Honey and any other "southern term of endearment" without any prejudice.  So please don't take offense.  It's not flirting it's just Southern Hospitality.
ghost 0311/8541

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »

pretty cool KB always wanted to make a david sling that way

My mind is my weapon.  Everything else is just accessories.
Sometimes the majority means that all the fools are on the same side.
Gibbs rule #9 Never go any where without a knife.
kell bells

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 09:56:57 PM »

Dammit, now I have to find a pattern for that!

There are patterns for hammocks too.  Got me to thinkin'   Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And Free Forum Hosting